Linda Strong's Reviews > His Third Victim

His Third Victim by Helen H. Durrant

bookshelves: read-in-2017

He watches her very closely as he has for quite a while now. First he kills her lover, then he kills a family member. The bodies are left with an ink stamp ... the Chinese symbol for sorry. Now there is no one close to her who will question her disappearance when he grabs her.

This is not the first time he has done this. There are five unsolved crimes .... each with the same ink stamp, only in different colors.

When the police can't find any connection with the missing and the dead, DI Matt Brindle is called in despite his being determined to not go back after his partner was killed and he was severely injured. But at heart, all he's ever wanted to do is chase the bad guys.

Bella Richards was the lover of one of the victims. She also has a 5-year-old son. Bella has secrets... and she's not willing to share them with law enforcement.... not even when her son disappears.

It takes Brindle and a new team to spot things that have been overlooked .... things like Bella doesn't seem to have existed before 2 years ago. Why does she have two phones? Why won't she work with the police. Where did a smooth talking solicitor come from? Who is the man who follows her wherever she goes?

This author has fast become one of my favorites. She has some terrific series on her side of the board. HIS THIRD VICTIM is a stand-alone, not associated with a series. If you have never read her, this is the place to start. I guarantee you will want to gather up all her other books.

As always, this is a well written crime thriller full of mystery and suspense with both big and little twists and surprises along the way. All the characters are well defined and I'm eager to learn more about them . Brindle is a man's man, but he does have his issues. His previous injuries have left him with PTSD. Lily is young, and fairly inexperienced, but there's nothing she won't do to prove her worth as a law enforcement officer. I even liked Brindle's mom and sister .. they lend a lot of credibility to her character.

Many thanks to the author and Joffee Books for the advance digital copy. Opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read His Third Victim.

September 28, 2017 – Started Reading
September 29, 2017 – Finished Reading
October 9, 2017 – Shelved
October 9, 2017 – Shelved as: read-in-2017

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Selene (new)

Selene This one has piqued my interest. Fantastic review, Linda!

message 2: by Brenda (new)

Brenda I’m a couple books behind with Helen Durrant, but hope to correct that soon. Great review, Linda.

Linda Strong Selene wrote: "This one has piqued my interest. Fantastic review, Linda!"

Thanks! Have you read Helen Durrant before?

Linda Strong Brenda wrote: "I’m a couple books behind with Helen Durrant, but hope to correct that soon. Great review, Linda."

Thank you! This one isn't associated with any of her series..so you can jump in anywhere and read :-)

Cheryl Great review! I've just started this after reading your review - it's really piqued my interest.