JanB 's Reviews > Breakfast at Tiffany's

Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote

it was ok
bookshelves: audiobook, book-club

I listened to this on audio with Michael C Hall as the narrator. He did a great job even though I had to get past Dexter reading the book to me -ha.

However, I didn't connect to the story at all. I thought it a very mediocre story and Holly Golightly a crude opportunist. After reading it I have no idea why Audrey Hepburn was cast in the movie role. In the words of Capote himself Holly was an "American Geisha" girl looking for wealthy men to support her in a high-class lifestyle. Maybe it had meaning for the times in which it was written but I found nothing appealing or informative about the story. No one in my book club liked it.

This is a rare case where I'd recommend the movie over the book. It's vastly different than the book - in a good way.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Breakfast at Tiffany's.

October 9, 2017 – Started Reading
October 9, 2017 – Shelved
October 9, 2017 – Shelved as: book-club
October 9, 2017 – Shelved as: audiobook
October 11, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

Norma * Traveling Sister I started listening to this but put it aside even though I love Michael C. Hall I just couldn’t finish it. I felt the same way as you did Jan.

message 2: by Kelli (new)

Kelli Good to know. Thanks, Jan.

Diane S ☔ Nice review, Jan. Was just a okay read for me too.

message 4: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith Sorry it wasn't for you Jan x

Jaline - (on partial hiatus) I had to laugh about listening to Dexter read to you! :) Well-done expression of how this audio book felt to you, Jan!

message 6: by Mackey (new)

Mackey I will never see Capote as anything other than Dexter now! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. Capote is....different.

Melissa I agree, the movie was much better! I do have to say, I loved having Dexter reading this to me . . . his voice is so unique and smooth. Wish he would do more audios. Hahahaha.

message 8: by Kaceey (new)

Kaceey Great review Jan! Sorry it didn't work for you!

Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader Great review, Jan! I listened to this one, too, and I had that inner struggle of it being very different from the movie...but at the same time, I enjoyed the reading of it (and tried to forget how different the movie was!).

JanB Norma wrote: "I started listening to this but put it aside even though I love Michael C. Hall I just couldn’t finish it. I felt the same way as you did Jan."

Norma, thanks, always good to know I'm not alone! :-)

JanB Miriam wrote: "Sorry it wasn't for you Jan x"
Miriam, thanks! :-)

Diane S ☔ wrote: "Nice review, Jan. Was just a okay read for me too."

Diane, thanks! Just my opinion, but I think without Audrey Hepburn playing the role few people would still be familiar with this novella.

Kelli wrote: "Good to know. Thanks, Jan."

Kelli, 😊

JanB Jaline wrote: "I had to laugh about listening to Dexter read to you! :) Well-done expression of how this audio book felt to you, Jan!"

Jaline, Having Dexter read it was by far the best part of the experience - haha

JanB Mackey wrote: "I will never see Capote as anything other than Dexter now! I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it. Capote is....different."

Mackey, "Different" is one way of putting it 😊

Mary Beth *Traveling Sister* Great Review Jan! Sorry this one was disappointing. Hope your next one is better.

JanB Melissa wrote: "I agree, the movie was much better! I do have to say, I loved having Dexter reading this to me . . . his voice is so unique and smooth. Wish he would do more audios. Hahahaha."

Melissa, I felt the same way about Hall and checked Audible. He's done 2 others but neither appeal to me. He's a perfect narrator.

JanB Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader wrote: "Great review, Jan! I listened to this one, too, and I had that inner struggle of it being very different from the movie...but at the same time, I enjoyed the reading of it (and tried to forget how ..."

Jennifer, thanks. Even without the movie the story just didn't appeal to me. I wish I had enjoyed it!

JanB Kaceey wrote: "Great review Jan! Sorry it didn't work for you!"

Kaceey, thank you!

JanB Mary wrote: "Great Review Jan! Sorry this one was disappointing. Hope your next one is better."

Mary, thank you! At least this one was short 😊

Lindsay - Traveling Sister Great review Jan! That is rare when a movie is better than the book. Hope your next book is excellent!! 😊

JanB Lindsay wrote: "Great review Jan! That is rare when a movie is better than the book. Hope your next book is excellent!! 😊"

Lindsay, thanks! I'm kinda embarrassed to recommend a movie over a book 😳

message 21: by Lady Delacour (last edited Oct 12, 2017 06:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lady Delacour Read it and have listened.
Better read than listen.
Summer Crossing was much more enjoyable.

message 22: by Esil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Esil I had this on my audio tbr. But your excellent review is giving me second thoughts

message 23: by Dana (new)

Dana Arg....I got the audio on one of those half off deals. Oh, well....... the movie, at least, was good!

JanB Lady Delacour wrote: "Read it and have listened.
Better read than listen.
Summer Crossing was much more enjoyable.

Thanks, if I don't care for a narrator it can affect my enjoyment of a book but I really liked the narration of B at T. The members of my club who read it felt the same way 😬
I'll take a look at the one you linked to, thanks!

message 25: by JanB (last edited Oct 13, 2017 09:03AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

JanB Esil wrote: "I had this on my audio tbr. But your excellent review is giving me second thoughts
."

Esil, maybe you'll love it! :-) I hope so!

JanB Dana wrote: "Arg....I got the audio on one of those half off deals. Oh, well....... the movie, at least, was good!"

Dana, I had to buy it, and it was only $6 or so but still, I hate paying for something and end up not enjoying it. Maybe you will love it though, many have!