Helen's Reviews > Dead Man's Chest

Dead Man's Chest by Kerry Greenwood

bookshelves: arc, competent-female-characters, crime, reviewed

Super easy to get into. From the first paragraph, I was drawn straight into Phryne Fisher's world. The writing is wonderful and made the book feel more real to me than my actual life!

And all the food descriptions! Knowing what characters what like to eat makes them 10x more realistic to me. There are even about 3 recipes at the end of the book for some of the food they ate. And little gems like this made me smile:

"Dot supplied herself, Jane, Ruth and Tinker with cocoa and a few biscuits to guard against night starvation."

I can relate to people that aren't happy until they have planned when and what their next meal will be.

Descriptions of people are so well done I could imagine myself there in the book next to them.

"Madame Sélavy was tall, thin and haggard. Her face was bony, her nose beaky, her eyes as bright as pins. She was heavily made-up, white paint and red lips and kohl around the eyes. She wore a draped gown which Princess Eugenie might have considered overdecorated, dripping with black and gold bugle beads, embroideries, tassels and fringes to the utmost tolerance of woven cloth. She smelt strongly of patchouli. Rings burdened every finger, her neck was wrapped in pearl-studded chains and a band of brilliants encircled her throat. "

The main mystery was solved by an unlikely coincidence. I can forgive this because there was some decent investigating up to that point and Phryne did solve one of the sub-mysteries. That was enough to keep me happy so I'm not too bothered about the coincidence that was thrown in there.

There are a few loose ends that I can't work out. I'm not entirely sure what the point of the treasure hunt was, or what the bit in the cave near the end was about. (view spoiler) And when the two men tried to abduct Phryne, who was watching from the neighbour's house and why?

Everything else about the book I loved. I've read two in the series now and Phryne Fisher is already one of my favourite book characters. You've got to admire a woman that will quite happily abandon her clothes if it helps her escape the grasp of an attacker.

An absolute delight, this is a feel-good story that is perfect for a weekend of indulgent reading.

I received a free copy from the publisher in return for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Man's Chest.

October 9, 2017 – Shelved