Contrarius's Reviews > Sunshine

Sunshine by Robin McKinley

Sep 24, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: urban-fantasy

Hmmmm. I can't quite decide about this book. I think it's one of those books where the first book of the series is filled with world-building details, so there isn't as much room for plots as in books 2, 3, and so on. The only problem with that theory is that this is a standalone book, and not part of a series. So, we're left with a book that has tons and tons of background information, and not nearly as much action as it might contain otherwise.

Now, this *is* an interesting book. There is a lot of worldbuilding going on, interesting characters, and a gripping initial conflict. On the other hand, there seems to almost be more about baking cinnamon rolls and running a cafe than about fighting vampires or dealing with Others. And the heroine seems to spend more time whining about how she doesn't want to deal with Bad Things than she spends in trying to learn about *how* to deal with those bad things.

Overall, I'd rate this book at about 3 1/2 stars. I'm giving it 3 for now, because I'm irritated with the failure of Sunshine live up to its potential. But at a different time, in a different mood, I might give it the 4 instead.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sunshine.