Lubinka Dimitrova's Reviews > Why We Sleep: Unlocking the Power of Sleep and Dreams

Why We Sleep by Matthew Walker

Hands down, one of the best books I read this year (more like ever, to be honest).

So, a miracle drug has been discovered. A revolutionary new treatment that makes you live longer. It enhances your memory, makes you more attractive. It keeps you slim and lowers food cravings. It protects you from cancer and dementia. It wards off colds and flu. It lowers your risk of heart attacks and stroke, not to mention diabetes. You’ll even feel happier, less depressed, and less anxious. Sleep! Who would have imagined?! And on the other hand, failing to get this drug will result in extensive damage to your overall health, and no aspect of your biology would be left unscathed. Sleep deprivation! Many of us are bizarrely convinced that getting by with constantly less hours of sleep is actually a sign of coolness and exceptional abilities to function as a super-human. Due to this utter ignorance about the importance and the complexity of sleep’s role in our lives, we do a great disservice to ourselves and mostly to our children, who grow up with the notion that getting enough sleep could be labeled as laziness. Instead, we should realize that our sleeping hours are not an endless resource from which we can borrow limitless amounts of time "to do productive work", as I personally very often do (I really wished to be able to say "did", but alas, I've only managed to lightly reduce this vice). They are not. And the work of a sleep deprived person isn't as productive as one'd imagine. Eventually the constant low level exhaustion becomes our accepted norm. We fail to recognize how our habitual state of sleep deficiency has come to compromise our mental aptitude and physical vitality, resulting in the slow accumulation of ill health.

I picked up this book with an inquiring mind, perhaps hoping to find a technique or two to improve my sleep, after obtaining a better understanding of its underlying mechanisms. As it turns out, it gave me nightmares. Still, I'm glad that I got this insight before I die a depressed, obese, demented diabetic, because I "must" work late or I "must" watch the silly movie till the end, well beyond midnight. Next, I'm reading "Go the fuck to sleep".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Why We Sleep.

October 8, 2017 – Shelved
December 5, 2017 – Shelved as: history-will-teach-us-nothing
December 5, 2017 – Shelved as: male-author
December 5, 2017 – Shelved as: psychology
December 5, 2017 – Shelved as: thought-provoking

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Kelly (new)

Kelly I love this review! Great advice and damned right. That movie or book will be there tomorrow, your brain power and full attention might not be.

message 2: by Jaffrey (new)

Jaffrey Yusuf Does he say if 7 hours is good daily optimum sleep? Or do we have to hit 8 hours itself?