Kristiej's Reviews > Escape Velocity

Escape Velocity by Jess Anastasi

bookshelves: friends-to-lovers, scifi-romance

Although it seems I’ve been reading primarily contemporaries so far this year, I have taken a couple of different brief paths and this book was a SciFi romance path. It’s one I need to get on more often as I truly do appreciate the genre.

Commander Kai Yang had been the commander of the battleship Valiant Knox – think Star Trek or Battlestar Galactica or something along those lines for the feel of the book – until his was captured and horrifyingly tortured by this fringe lunatic religious group who are gaining power in this galaxy. He manages to somehow escape and ends up back on the Valiant Knox. The doctor on board who treats him, Dr. Sasha Dalton, is a dear friend. Kai, Sasha and her husband Elliot had been a tight group. But Elliott has died and with Kai being so damaged, the dynamics have changed. There had always been an unspoken attraction between them but neither ever acted on it.
So this is the basis of the story, Kai healing, Sasha and him debating on whether to give into their attraction with Elliotts ghost between them. In addition Kai needs to find his place. He had been missing for so long and presumed dead, his spot as commander has been replaced. As well, it seems they have a spy on board who is leaking information to CSS, the lunatic group who are trying to take over the galaxy.

This is the first in a series by Jess Anastasi and she has set it up brilliantly. One of the things I admire and appreciate about SciFi romance is the author starts and builds from the ground up, the world she is writing about. Though this world is entirely different from life as we know it, it’s a believable world with believable characters.

Escape Velocity has it all, a fascinating world, wonderful characters in Kai and Sasha and the secondary cast, suspense, mystery and a fine friends to lovers romance.
I have the second book and I’m not quite sure why I haven’t started it, but I surely do recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Escape Velocity.

Started Reading