David's Reviews > The Innovators: How a Group of Hackers, Geniuses and Geeks Created the Digital Revolution

The Innovators by Walter Isaacson

liked it
bookshelves: audiobook, biography, history

The basic premise of this book, is that innovators and inventors do not create new concepts solo. They are almost always collaborators. But, there is not a surplus of collaboration described in this book. This was a fun, entertaining book to read. In the beginning of the book, the innovators were described in detail, in historical order. But, as the chronology approached the present day, less and less space was devoted to individual innovators, and more to the innovations.

I really enjoyed an earlier book by Isaacson, Benjamin Franklin: An American Life. In that book, I really was able to understand the man and his accomplishments. However, this book covers too much ground, and ends up being less than satisfying. I ended up understanding the life of the first personality covered in the book, Ada Lovelace, but not much else. Perhaps if the author had not tried to cover every single person he considers to be an innovator, and to go into depth about the most interesting biographies, it might have been better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Innovators.

Started Reading
October 1, 2017 – Finished Reading
October 8, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Grumpus I like Isaacson's work but chose not to read this one because of the fact that it covers too many people. I have yet to find an example of when that works. After the debacle of The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris by one of my other favorites (David McCullough), I prefer to stick to singular biographies. Good to learn you enjoyed Benjamin Franklin: An American Life. I have that on my to-read list.

David Grumpus, that is an excellent point. I have learned my lesson.