Victor Davis's Reviews > Big Bang: The Origin of the Universe

Big Bang by Simon Singh

Oct 08, 2017

bookshelves: science-books
Read from October 07 to 14, 2017

This is right up there with my all-time favorite science book, Music of the Spheres. I wish I had read it sooner. I was only going to give it four stars because, honestly, I was a little let down to find out it was a generic run-down of the history of cosmology, from Ptolemy to COBE. I've read all about these stories many times and was hoping to read a more technical book on more recent discoveries. Alas, such a mixup was my own fault and should not count against Mr. Singh, who amazes once again with his extraordinarily clear prose and explanatory power. For anybody curious about what the (terribly named) Big Bang actually is, and how we know what we know about it, this is an excellent primer. Like many science writers, Singh does a good job, perhaps the best job of any, of pausing along the way to highlight the subtle importance of different aspects of a scientist's discovery, and how it epitomizes the scientific process and why it works so well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Big Bang.

10/08/2017 marked as: currently-reading
10/08/2017 page 160
28.0% "Oh how I love Simon Singh. He's an extraordinary teacher. Though the book is incredibly accessible, I fear I'm only going down the path I've been down a thousand times, rereading the history of Ptolemy, Aristotle, Copernicus, Kepler, Galileo, Newton, and Einstein... again. But, it's early yet, and I hope the coming chapters teach me a lot of what I haven't already learned about cosmology."
10/11/2017 page 330
58.0% "I love Singh. Reading this book is like drinking honey. Very engaging, very accessible, very fun, entertaining, and readable."
10/14/2017 marked as: read