ABookwormWithWine's Reviews > Hide and Seek

Hide and Seek by M.J. Arlidge

4/5 ⭐️

*This review, and others, can also be found on my blog: https://readingbetweenwinessite.wordp...

This book was actually kind of hard for me to rate because of an oopsies on my part. I was completely unaware that this book was part of a series when I requested it from NetGalley, and I have not read the five books before it. That may not have been a big deal, except book 5 (Little Boy Blue) was probably a pretty major piece to the majority of the plotline to this book considering this was the sequel to it... That being said I still really enjoyed the book, but I wish I had read the other books, especially Little Boy Blue, first.

I think M.J. Arlidge does a good job of giving you enough background that this book is OK as a standalone. I would still recommend reading the other books first, but I was pretty impressed at how well it did by itself. I will have to see if I still think that after reading the other books in this series. Again, my fault, not the author's fault.

The prison mystery aspect was great and I had no idea what was going to happen. I was so sure of who was doing it, but I was completely wrong, more than once! I wished I had more background on the relationship between Helen and Robert while reading this book, but I will get that when I read the first 5 books to this series.

I liked that even though there were a lot of viewpoints, the author made sure that you knew who the person was and how they were connected to the story each time there was a switch. I know some people didn't like the (sometimes incredibly) short chapters, but I actually enjoyed that. For some reason it always feels like a book goes faster for me when the chapters are shorter.

Overall I was really happy with this book, and I will definitely be reading the rest of this series!

*Special thanks to NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for sending me an electronic ARC of this book. My review is completely honest and unbiased

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hide and Seek.

October 7, 2017 – Started Reading
October 7, 2017 – Shelved as: not-set-in-the-usa
October 7, 2017 – Shelved as: tragedy
October 7, 2017 – Shelved as: whodunnit
October 7, 2017 –
27.0% "Unfortunately I didn’t realize this was part of a series when I requested it from NetGalley. I’m going to have to go back and read the ones before it though (and read future books). Only just over a quarter in and I’m completely hooked. It’s super intense!"
October 9, 2017 –
50.0% "😰"
October 11, 2017 –
62.0% "Almost done! 👮🏼‍♀️"
October 14, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* I have read the first few books in the series Kaylee and found them a bit hit and miss. So I gave up reading them. Now after your enthusiastic review, I may have to reconsider.

message 2: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review!!

I'm following your blog now too :)

message 3: by Melissa (last edited Oct 16, 2017 04:46AM) (new)

Melissa Nice review! This series is SO great! I've only read the first three, but I love Helen Grace and the short chapters certainly make it hard to put down.

ABookwormWithWine Deanna wrote: "Great review!!

I'm following your blog now too :)"

Why thank you Deanna! 💙

ABookwormWithWine Melissa wrote: "Nice review! This series is SO great! I've only read the first three, but I love Helen Grace and the short chapters certainly make it hard to put down."

Thanks! See you get my love of short chapters haha. I feel like you can speed through books like that. I can’t wait to read the other books in this series!

ABookwormWithWine Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice* wrote: "I have read the first few books in the series Kaylee and found them a bit hit and miss. So I gave up reading them. Now after your enthusiastic review, I may have to reconsider."

Sad! Not having read the other books I really don’t have much to go on. I’ll have to see how I feel after reading the other books in this series. 🙈