stephanie's Reviews > Hannah Senesh: Her Life and Diary, the First Complete Edition

Hannah Senesh by Hannah Senesh

Jun 19, 2007

bookshelves: to-read, history-memory, wwii, holocaust

rec: amazon. hah.

a girl who lived in palestine, and went back to hungary to help her people, and consequently ended up executed - by hungarian nazi party (i need to go back to the "terror house" museum!!).

oh, my magyar people, how i am enamoured of you! oh, hannah senesh, how forgotten you are in america and general holocaust history!

seriously, there has to be some way to educate the people about the hannah's and the carl lutzenberg's . . . it's kind of shocking how much history comes out of hungary, considering how late it was on the final solution plans and stuff.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hannah Senesh.

Real Supergirl FYI, Sennesh didn't die in a camp, she was executed after being captured by Nazis collaborators in power in Hungary at the time. She parachuted in with other Palestinian Jews in an attempt to rescue HUngarian Jews, including her mother.

Also, she is most certainly not forgotten. In Israel she is pretty much a national heroine, kids learn about her very, very early in their education.

This is a wonderful book though, and I find her life very inspiring.

message 2: by stephanie (new) - added it

stephanie thank you for letting me know that her story is told somewhere - i was thinking of here in the us, where i took five million courses on the holocaust (in history and memory, in literature, in film, etc.) because of personal interest - and never once did i come across hannah senesh. i am glad that she isn't forgotten - at least by some people - unlike lutzenberg, who's own people denounce his actions.

and i still haven't read the book itself, so i apologize for my mistake in the history - you're right, and i knew the arrow cross were involved, but since this wasn't (isn't) a review of the book yet, i wasn't thinking too much as i wrote it up. thanks for making me clarify. ;)