Bingeworthy Book Blog's Reviews > Secrets in Death

Secrets in Death by J.D. Robb

liked it
bookshelves: reviewed

When I was 14 years old, my mother decided to play a game of hide and seek with a book that I'd been eagerly awaiting to read. She then proceeded to tell me that if I wanted to read it, I'd first have to find it.
Needless to say, the house got completely trashed in my search for the elusive book, but in amongst my searching, in the back of one of the hallway cupboards, I came across a copy of Entranced, by Nora Roberts and fascinated by the mention of psychics and witches (I love fantasy and paranormal romance), I decided to read the book.
This was how I first discovered Nora Roberts books and it wasn't until a few years later that I learned that she wrote the In Death series books under the pen name J.D.Robb.
From the moment that I learned that she had an ongoing futuristic police procedural/detective series I was captivated and I read every book that was out at the time.
However, for me, something started to change. I don't know whether it was me and my viewpoint of the series that changed or whether something was slightly different in the way that the story was written, but a few years ago, I stopped reading the In Death series because for me, the spark had been lost.
I personally felt as though the characters weren't really growing or had come to some kind of a stall or something had just been lost.
In an effort to recapture that love and connectiveness that I had previously shared with the characters and the series, I read Secrets in Death , however, I still felt as though nothing had really changed in the series and that the characters weren't as alive, as present, as easy to emotionally connect to as they had been in the first half of the series.
But that's just me, and maybe nothing has really changed with the series so much as it's been me that's changed. In any case, it was still an enjoyable book, even if it didn't completely capture and enthrall me.

Connect with me on:
Bingeworthy Book Blog
On Facebook
On Twitter
On Instagram

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Secrets in Death.

Started Reading