Bonnie Brandt's Reviews > The Death and Life of the Great Lakes

The Death and Life of the Great Lakes by Dan Egan

This was a book that wasn't on my radar until it came up as a monthly read in my one of my book clubs. That's kind of surprising considering that I literally live on the shores of Lake Superior.

I loved this book AND it scared the crap out of me. I have lived in Michigan my whole life and one of the reasons I decided to live where I do is because of the beauty of the lake and the fact that I can afford to live on the most northern of the Great Lakes. Their health is important to me.

The lamprey, the salmon, the Asian carp, the zebra then quagga mussel, the algae blooms, the lake levels, the rising water temperatures all conspire to shift the way the lakes function. The lakes are big, they're resilient, but they're not going to be able to handle everything that gets thrown at them.

I felt like it ended on a hopeful note, which I really needed. Not that I'm lulled into thinking everything is OK, but it's nice to know that the lakes have been able to adapt to some of the changes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Death and Life of the Great Lakes.

October 6, 2017 – Started Reading
October 6, 2017 – Shelved
October 14, 2017 –
page 0
October 14, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Margitte (new)

Margitte Sounds a like a must-read. Great review!

Bonnie Brandt Thanks!