Erin Arkin's Reviews > Haven

Haven by Mary Lindsey

bookshelves: read-in-2017

I loved the cover of Haven by Mary Lindsey and when I read an excerpt of this book, I realized this book is one I needed to read. This tale that will have you wondering who really is the monster throughout the entire book and you won’t stop trying to figure out what is going on in New Wurzburg.

Rain Ryland hasn’t had an easy life. He and his mother have lived in shelters and on the street throughout his entire life so when his mother dies, and he finds out he has an aunt who will take him in, he is a bit surprised and a lot confused as to why his mother preferred to live that way as opposed to relying on family.

When Rain gets to New Wurzburg, he senses something different about the people and the town, but he has never really fit in anywhere, so he isn’t that surprised that he stands out here too. Rain is immediately drawn to Freddie and despite her doing her best to push him away, Freddie is also drawn to Rain. I thought the way the relationship was developed between these two characters was well done. Freddie does her best to keep Rain out of danger and her life but there are external factors at work that she just can’t stop.

I loved how Lindsey developed the characters in this book. Not only Rain and Freddie but also Grant, Petra, and Ruby. We get to learn everything that is going on right along with Rain and pieces of information come from every angle. I thought it was interesting how we get Ruby’s story which provided more information on why Rain’s mother made the decisions she did. I really loved how Ruby and Rain’s relationship developed and how they became family.

Freddie’s family was interesting to say the least. With a pack mentality, there were those that accepted her place and others that weren’t supportive. As she continues to search for the truth behind her father’s death, she is definitely not as secure in her leadership as she would hope. As we start to learn more about Freddie and her family as well as their relationship with the weavers, thing start to become clearer. Add to that the groups intentions for Rain and the pace and danger begin to pick up.

That’s about all I can say without ruining anything. Just know that Lindsey wrote a story that not only has well developed characters, but she built them around a paranormal story that had me unable to put the book down until I knew how things were going to end. I really enjoyed this story and look forward to more from Lindsey in the future. If you are looking for a story that will have you turning the pages to see what happens, consider checking this one out.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the review copy in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haven.

October 6, 2017 – Shelved