Thomas Padley's Reviews > Rotters

Rotters by Daniel Kraus

Sep 24, 2011

liked it
Read from September 24 to 25, 2011

Well this was a book that I'd been really looking forward to, and when it arrived at the library I was really looking forward to it. That excitement was unfortunately short lived, the positives I'm going to give this book are that it is fantastically written, I have read a few of Daniel Kraus's books before, and one thing I picked up on is his character development and how detailed he is, but also how morbid and horror like his stories really were. The story itself is quite clearly morbid and disturbing I mean a story based upon grave robbing is going to be anything but. Once again his character development was spot on and I felt like I really knew all the characters, and at first sympathized greatly with the main character Joey, he really had a tough time with his mother being tragically killed at the beginning and having to up roots and go live with his father who he never knew. But as the story progresses, and I wont give anything away, all I'm going to say is, as the book progressed I became less sympathized with Joey and didn't really care, I found myself struggling to read after about 200-250 pages. The story seemed to go a little sluggish and slow paced for my personal liking, and there wasn't enough major action. With a lot of characters and dialogue to take in as well, I found myself having to put the book down for periods of time, just to take a break. Also the ending was a little predictable and a little disappointing really, without saying too much.

All in all, it was an okay book. But not what I was expecting. I would recommend it a read at least, as the book itself written perfectly and I still love Daniel Kraus's writing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rotters.