Kelly's Reviews > Fliers: 20 Small Posters with Big Thoughts

Fliers by Nathaniel Russell

bookshelves: read-in-2017, reviewed

Is it a book? An art project? A new life philosophy? All of the above?

(Full disclosure: I received a free copy of this book for review through Blogging for Books.)

Nathaniel Russell's Fliers: 20 Small Posters with Big Thoughts is exactly what it says it is - a book of mini tear-out posters with Big - and sometimes Absurd - Ideas. Based on the sort of fliers that litter/decorate telephone poles, community billboards, and other public spaces, Russell's art pairs a simple, minimalist aesthetic with the sort of weird and random thoughts of a full-time stoner. The result is whimsical, funny, and - at times - profound AF.

Being an Animal Person, my favorite posters are those modeled on "lost dog" fliers, in part because they're a lot more whimsical and lighthearted than their sad and tragic cousins. "Found Dog" is the sort of thing I've fantasized about posting,

null

and "The Opposite of Lost" is the plot of what could be an amazing, vegan-friendly animal uprising flick. (Think Planet of the Apes, minus the inter-species speciesism.)

null

A few of the posters fell flat with me, but overall this is a pretty kickass collection. Many of the prints - or variations thereof - are available for perusal on the author's website. Some aren't even in the book, but should have been. ("I wish I was born an animal support system network," I'm looking at you!)

As for the practical design of the book, the posters are printed on heavy cardstock, perfect for framing, hanging, displaying, etc. Though it's a paperback (kind of), the book comes with a dust jacket that unfolds to reveal - wait for it - a photo of a telephone pole.

Whether you choose to regard it as a book of art or a collection of posters, Fliers is a neat little thingamajiggie.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fliers.

October 6, 2017 – Started Reading