Martine Taylor's Reviews > Incendiary

Incendiary by Chris Cleave

Sep 24, 2011

Read in September, 2011

Hard to review. Miss being able to give a half star too, I would round this up to a 4.5 (B+/A-). Loved the narrating character's voice, the intense emotions, the thought-provoking subject matter, the fast-paced story line. This book sucked me in. On the other hand, I had trouble with some of the developments in the book, and I wasn't so pleased with the ending. Also, am I the only one out there bugged by the affairs of the mom/wife in Little Bee & the mom/wife in Incendiary? This is from a character development perspective - I found them BOTH less relatable, and less "true" because of the inconsistant portrayls. Moms I know who are heavily invested in their kids and love their husbands don't have CASUAL affairs just for sex, and if they do...they do it for some pretty heavy reasons. The casualness and lack of emotional investment doesn't work well with the intense emotions going on in the rest of the story for me. It also bugged me that BOTH of his books have this issue. Perhaps he should try writing from a male perspective.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Incendiary.