Sabrina's Reviews > Subversion: Science Fiction & Fantasy Tales of Challenging the Norm

Subversion by Bart R. Leib

Sep 24, 2011

I was really impressed and surprised by this anthology.

First the surprise. I expected most of the stories to be about political/social subversion. Wrong. There are at least as many stories about subverting personal "authorities" as there are about societal ones. And there were some very subtle, nuanced and complex takes on those subversions.

Now, about being impressed. While this anthology has stories by people whose work I already enjoy and seek out (Daniel José Older, for example), it has a lot of work by people I hadn't read before that, let's be honest, blew me away: Camille Alexa, Shanna Germain, RJ Astruc and Deirdre Murphy, among others. (You can read a more comprehensive take on a number of the stories at http://followingthelede.blogspot.com/...).

There were a few stories that, while written by undeniably skillful and talented authors, just didn't do anything for me. But that's the nature of anthologies, and in the end, there were many more stories in here that amazed than disappointed.

Like the anthologies Coyote Road and The Green Man, the print version of Subversion goes on my keeper shelf - so I can turn to the stories that linger and call to me again and again. In my world, the hallmark of a good anthology.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Subversion.