Emily's Reviews > The Waters Rising

The Waters Rising by Sheri S. Tepper

Sep 24, 2011

Read in September, 2011

Sheri Tepper is one of my "read everything" authors so of course I picked this one up too. I didn't even realize that it was a sequel to A Plague of Angels, it's been so long since I read that one, but it stands on its own just fine.

I thought the tone of this book was a bit of a change for Tepper. It read almost like a fairy tale, especially at the beginning, but that wasn't a bad thing. The characters as always are interesting and complex. Tepper is very fond of feminist and environmental themes; this book dealt with the latter only. The explanation of the environmental issues and resolution that develop during the second half of the book seemed a bit uninspired compared to the way some of her other books have handled it, and the final conflict resolution seemed a bit anticlimactic, but I still enjoyed the story and the strong characters carried my interest through. Plus, it had cephalopods, which always earns extra bonus points from me!

Overall though I wouldn't suggest this as a first book for anyone who isn't already fond of Tepper's writing; if you haven't read anything by her before I would suggest The Gate to Women's Country (an interesting hypothetical future with feminist themes) or Raising the Stones (a very thought provoking look at religious conflict and free will).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Waters Rising.