Anish Kohli's Reviews > The Two Towers

The Two Towers by J.R.R. Tolkien

20963257

Anish: This book is a vast, VAST improvement on the last one!
People: Really? And yet you rated it 4 stars while you rated the last one 5 stars!
Anish: Yeah well, for me this book had a couple of problems...
People: Really? Are you even serious? Do you not know what you have just read? Who you've read?
Anish: I do know that and it has nothing to do with penmenship but...
People: For shame, Anish, for shame! What do you have to say for yourself?
Anish: This is what I have to say...

First off, Acknowledgements!
A very huge and heartfelt thank you to The cheery lady who has a great name and The guy who has the same box set as mine for inviting me to buddy read! In all honesty, this has been my most fun and engaging BR by far and now I certainly hope to finish this series with both you folks even though you both almost killed me with your reading speed! :D

And Avinash, a special thanks to you, for standing strong in a gentlemanly fashion when we disagreed about a certain thing. Much love to both you guys!!

Let’s start by saying that I will be pretty hard pressed to add anything more than what I already said in the review of The Fellowship of the Ring. Yet, let me try, for one shouldn’t stop trying for fear of failing, should they?

Let’s talk story first.

There is SO MUCH story in this book, crammed inside the pages that it seems like a surprise that all of that happened in just one book! And it’s really hard to give a synopsis of a book like this bcz that in itself would make a huge review and I intend to talk about the book rather than the story. So I will give out the major hits!

Fall of Boromir
“What news from the North, O mighty wind, do you bring to me today? What news of Boromir the Bold? For he is long away.’ ‘Beneath Amon Hen I heard his cry. There many foes he fought. His cloven shield, his broken sword, they to the water brought. His head so proud, his face so fair, his limbs they laid to rest; And Rauros, golden Rauros-falls, bore him upon its breast.”
The mighty fall too. Boromir….ah Boromir! The poor chap who paid dearly for the mistake he made. A mistake whose punishment shouldn’t have been death. And yet, it is. The man of Gondor, dead. Defending the hobbit friends Merry and Pippin, taken by orcs. Is he redeemed?

Return of Gandalf
“I have passed through fire and deep water, since we parted. I have forgotten much that I thought I knew, and learned again much that I had forgotten. I can see many things far off, but many things that are close at hand I cannot see.”
Aragorn, Gimli and Legolas, in pursuit of the orcs, end up in the Fangorn forest where they are met by none other than beloved Gandalf! And yet it’s not the Gandalf the Grey of old. This is Gandalf the White, on a mission to stop the enemy. To do what he may with the time afforded him. Can he make a difference?

Battle of Helm’s Deep
“You must go to Edoras and seek out Théoden in his hall. For you are needed. The light of Andúril must now be uncovered in the battle for which it has so long waited.”
The war is afoot and the people of Rohan must make a stand. The mettle of men must be tested! Will they survive?

Fall of Isengard
“A king will have his way in his own hall, be it folly or wisdom.”
Saruman the wise, the treacherous, safe in his tower, who joined forces with Sauron must now be brought low. A major ally of the dark lord must be snuffed. But who dares? But help does have a way of coming from unlooked places. And it does. Will Saruman be rid of?

Frodo and Sam
“Frodo was very brave, wasn’t he, dad?” ‘‘Yes, my boy” ‘‘I want to hear more about Sam. Frodo wouldn’t have got far without Sam, would he, dad?”
The duo must go on. Into Mordor! To find a way they must also make an alliance that seems unlikely to result into anything good. And yet what choice do they have? On and on, they must go. And they do. With naught but friendship to guide them in the darkness and fear that presses in on them. Do they get anywhere though?

Faramir
“And here in the wild I have you: two halflings, and a host of men at my call, and the Ring of Rings. A pretty stroke of fortune! A chance for Faramir, Captain of Gondor, to show his quality!”
Boromir’s brother. A captain leading his people on a tough mission who happens to cross paths with Frodo and Sam. The one grieved by his brother’s death. The one who has now the One Ring at his disposal, for the taking. Should Faramir fail like his brother did?

Let’s talk book.

What makes an author write? I mean I get that they want to tell stories and yet this is not a story that Tolkien has produced. No. This is an experience. A world that is just as detailed and every bit as real as ours. He has put in so much, created so much! He produced greatness! Why? What was the motivation?
Was it to earn? Was it to just tell a story that he had? Was it the praises from the reader? What was it? I think, in my very small and humble opinion, it was immortality. I think it was his want to leave a mark upon the world in order to cheat death. Isn’t that something that has driven many?
“I wonder if we shall ever be put into songs or tales. We’re in one, of course; but I mean: put into words, you know, told by the fireside, or read out of a great big book with red and black letters, years and years afterwards. And people will say: ‘‘Let’s hear about Frodo and the Ring!’’ And they’ll say: ‘‘Yes, that’s one of my favourite stories.”
And hasn’t he been immortalized? I’d say he’s cheated death and he has had the last laugh! For as long as there will be readers, I am sure these books will survive.

When I picked up this series, I bought the box set mostly on an impulse, despite almost DNF’ing my first venture with Tolkien in form of The Hobbit. I didn’t like it. Yet, something told me that I was probably not matured enough as a reader to handle that book when I picked it years ago. So I picked this series, many books later. With only a few chapters into the first book, I knew my gut was right!

First thing that I loved about this book was that it started right from where we left off in the first one. I am not a big fan of cliffhangers being drawn out. That was the first thing that this book did right and from then on, it kept ticking most of the boxes that needed ticking.
The writing is so exhaustive, so detailed that at times I felt overwhelmed. And to a certain extent I believe that this is one of those books whose sheer intensity and depth and details simply cannot be soaked in totality at your first go. One HAS to read it a couple of times to be fully aware of all the little fillers and specifics that have been used to populate this world of Middle Earth. One doesn’t not simply read this series once! Sorry, I just had to do that! We had to do it, didn’t we precious, oh yes we did! :P

With an exception of one chapter about the Ents, which was super slow but just according to the story, the rest of the book is very well paced and it’s always moving forward. So much is happening, so much is being described. This is not a book for light reading. This is immersive. The book ends with yet another cliffhanger of sorts and has setup the stage very nicely for the final instalment. It’s very rare to find books in a series that are an improvement on the preceding books. This one does that. I am in total awe of this author and I salute him for having creating something like this…something so enormous and so beautiful. Tolkien is something different. I don’t think comparing any author with him is fair on the other author. Not that comparison is fair in itself but I don’t think any author should be measured against Tolkien.

There are songs and poems in the book that are very well done indeed and they just add to the charm of everything else. It gives the world a history, a sense of being ancient. The words and dialogues are gems and reach deep inside.

The character of Gollum is extraordinarily well done! It sounds exactly like what a creature like Gollum should or would sound like. There is the malice and insanity and indifference and even so, there is a small part of the good old Sméagol that has survived. But I think, the character of Faramir takes the cake! I mean this is the only character that was so on point! He sounded just perfect. A guy whose heart is heavy with the death of his elder brother and yet duty forces him to stand fast in his stead and lead his men. To serve his nation and take up arms. A guy who clearly looked upto his big brother and yet, he turned out better than him, turned out to be someone who never lets go of his honor. Someone who has a level head on strong shoulders! I absolutely LOVED Faramir and Gollum! If anyone rivals those two, it is my dear Sam! Who else could it ever be? Sam, the loving and doting Sam!

And yet, for all its greatness, this book isn’t unblemished either.

Just like the last book, this one too, has many places where the dialogues from the characters come off as funny in a sad or dangerous situation. It kind of kills the mood in a way and although Tolkien more than just makes up, it still does happen. Legolas is the most useless character in my opinion as his words, few as they are, mostly miss the mark by a big margin. This is a letdown. A small one and yet, it is.

Another thing that is lackluster was the battle sequence. The battle of Helm’s deep was not intense enough for me. It felt a little loose, I guess? And too short. Way too short. The siege could have been bigger. Another letdown, small one again and yet, still there.

But the one thing that really put a dent in this book for me personally is this.

Frodo and Sam, the whole thing, is based on friendship. The way Sam sticks around and takes care of him and everything. It’s the kind of friendship that probably doesn’t exist and yet we all wish for! Which is why Sam is such an awesome character!
For me, friendship is based in trust and faith and most importantly, respect. Equality. Two people from any background can be friends as long as they respect each other, treat each other equal and trust each other. This is all that friendship asks for. This is how I feel.

So imagine the dent it puts in the shining image of friendship of Frodo and Sam when Frodo calls him his servant! In this book, I can’t count how many times, in the narrative, Tolkien refers to Sam as Frodo’s servant. It starts to sound like Sam is duty bound to Frodo, which he is NOT, in anyway. Sam did not need to come along except that he wanted to! To be there for Frodo! To not leave him alone in his troubles. But Frodo never stops Sam from addressing him as Master!

To my eye and mind, that’s disrespectful. It’s not treating someone as your equal. And this…this leaves the whole relation of Sam and Frodo feeling lesser than it is!
“Sam sat propped against the stone, his head dropping sideways and his breathing heavy. In his lap lay Frodo’s head, drowned deep in sleep; upon his white forehead lay one of Sam’s brown hands, and the other lay softly upon his master’s breast. Peace was in both their faces.”
Excuses will always be there. Excuse can be made for made for almost anything. But if you can’t call a spade a spade bcz of excuses then you is lying, my man! And lying aint my scene.
Tolkien, through Frodo, degrades Sam, even if it is just a touch. But he does. Sam was never his servant. It irked me personally and no explanation resolves the crime of calling your friend, one like Sam, a servant and disrespecting them. None exist in my books and to that end, I will deduct one star. Wrong is wrong, even if it is Tolkien who commits the deed.

This, again, brings me to my original stand. The LOTR movies are better than the books. The movies have changed and corrected all that is wrong or lackluster in the books and it has taken this series to a whole new level. For me, this is one rare occasion where the movies are better. Peter Jackson, you glorious bastard, you created magic!

Yet, this book is one of the finest pieces I have read! I really like this series, so much so, that I didn’t expect it and I can’t wait to get to the final part! This is a goodbye to Middle Earth for now. Despite the couple of small and one major flaw, I love everything in this book. Burárum! Too long have I ranted! I should stop and sign off!
“But I shall miss them. We have become friends in so short a while that I think I must be getting hasty!”

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Two Towers.

October 5, 2017 – Started Reading
October 5, 2017 – Shelved
October 6, 2017 –
page 50
11.39% "‘What news from the West, O wandering wind, do you bring to me tonight?
Have you seen Boromir the Tall by moon or by starlight?’
‘I saw him ride over seven streams, over waters wide and grey;
I saw him walk in empty lands, until he passed away’

October 8, 2017 –
page 80
18.22% "A whole chapter, 35 pages, about Treebeard!
It ACTUALLY put me to sleep!! Like for real!!

Could it BE any more boring?

October 8, 2017 –
page 100
22.78% "They could not see his face: he was hooded, and above the hood he wore a wide-brimmed hat, so that all his features were overshadowed, except for the end of his nose and his grey beard. At last the old man broke the silence. ‘Well met indeed, my friends.’

Welcome, Gandalf the White!

PS: Guys, go slow"
October 15, 2017 –
page 300
68.34% ""The Eye: that horrible growing sense of a hostile will that strove with great power to pierce all shadows of cloud, and earth, and flesh, and to see you: to pin you under its deadly gaze, naked, immovable."

Such malice!!"
page 333
75.85% ""Well, here we are!’ said Sam. ‘Here’s the Gate, and it looks to me as if that’s about as far as we are ever going to get."

Guys...declare yourself! What chapters you be at?"
page 333
75.85% "Hold up Hold up Hold up!!!
I just remembered this!
Frodo, son of Drogo!!

You mean he's the son of Khaleesi and Khal Drogo? Half Targaryen?? :P
Now THAT would make for a great spin off! :P

page 350
79.73% "Tidings of death have many wings. Night oft brings news to near kindred. Boromir was my brother.

October 17, 2017 –
page 375
85.42% "‘Are we rested? Have we had beautiful sleep? Let’s go!’

Chapter 8, Chapter 8, Chapter 8!
Home run, guys, home run! No stopping, no waiting! Read till the finish! Let's get this done and over with!

October 19, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 80 (80 new)

Sucharita Paul A wise guy once said,'What's in a name'?..Apparently he was wrong!:-P

Bon Voyage my friend!! Keep updating..

Anish Kohli Sucharita wrote: "A wise guy once said,'What's in a name'?..Apparently he was wrong!:-P

Bon Voyage my friend!! Keep updating.."

Of course he was wrong! :D
Keep updating and keep stalking! ;)

Avinash I see you got it 80% alright. It could have been a perfect review but I see a star missing and some of your old rant.

P.S. I was just being nice so don't dare arguing

Anish Kohli Avinash wrote: "I see you got it 80% alright. It could have been a perfect review but I see a star missing and some of your old rant.

P.S. I was just being nice so don't dare arguing"

Haha, naaah. I am not arguing again! :P
Scoring 80% in anything is a great score, my friend! :P

Avinash Anish wrote: "Scoring 80% in anything is a great score, my friend! :P "

Yeah, for someone like you :p
Tolkien deserves better :(

Anish Kohli Avinash wrote: "Anish wrote: "Scoring 80% in anything is a great score, my friend! :P "

Yeah, for someone like you :p
Tolkien deserves better :("

Haha, well, Sam deserved better too! :P
If it makes you feel any better, this was a personal thing and the book definitely is a five star! :)

Avinash Anish wrote: "this was a personal thing and the book definitely is a five star! :) "

You sir, just accepted that you are biased :p

No man, I totally understand. But as I said I still don't feel or believe that Frodo or Tolkien degraded sam somehow. In my opinion a narrator has to follow the words which make most sense for a general reader (especially when they aren't involved deep). Tolkien and Frodo did exactly the same thing with.

But no point arguing so Let there be light :) (Another Diwali Special :p

Avinash And man, that point about Tolkien's immortality *claps* couldn't have put it in a better way.

Avinash And I did agree with you on battle sequences so yeah.. but I think you're missing a point here with elves. Hmmmm how should I put it?

Legolas's reactions and words are quite different than it should be because elves are far different than humans or dwarves. So those words will only make sense if you'll think them from an elf's perspective. I think you pointed out something similar with balrog sequence as well, but I felt it was alright.

I know, I am not making much sense here but I think you should try listening audiobooks of the same such sequences I think you'll find them a bit more satisfying

Yamna Rashid Legolas is the most useless character in my opinion as his words, few as they are, mostly miss the mark by a big margin.

USELESS?
Why you little....

*plans a very long session of torture and despair and crying and begging for mercy for Anisha*

*sharpens stock of swords and knives and chains*

*sends for a team of people to ready the torture chamber for a new resident*

YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT YOU JUST SPARKED, MR. BREAD AND BUTTER!

Yamna Rashid I agree with the point about Sam and Frodo. I always wondered why Frodo used him so much. You haven't gotten to the third book (and I barely remember the movie) but the part at the end where Frodo defeats the eye ONLY because Sam was there to carry him, I think THAT ought to have made Frodo a bit more respectful about his companion but no, these rich people and their arrogance.
However, I think I REALLY need to re-read this series. I mean there's like so little I remember now
But what I DO remember is that LEGOLAS WAS NOT USELESS
(IF he was, explain WHY even Google has the sense to autocorrect me if I spell Legolas wrong)
His love for Arwen was the highlight of his character development. And the fact that they were true to his devotion to her even in the movies

Avinash Yamna wrote: " USELESS?
Why you little....

*plans a very long session of torture and..."

Ha ha.. I would like to see that. Need a hand? (I have my own scores to settle) Doesn't look like though :D

message 13: by Mitesh (new)

Mitesh maybe I should reconsider my oath of not reading remaining books of this series.

Krystal ...but Sam was Frodo's servant! He was his gardener! And even though they developed a friendship, Sam's identity is defined by his loyalty to his 'master'. So even though Frodo really views him as a friend, he kind of indulges Sam's tendency to refer to him as 'master' because it makes Sam happy and gives him purpose.

That's how I always saw it, anyway.

Anish Kohli Avinash wrote: "Anish wrote: "this was a personal thing and the book definitely is a five star! :) "

You sir, just accepted that you are biased :p

No man, I totally understand. But as I said I still don't feel o..."

And you sir just lied! You posted that Diwali special comment AFTER Diwali! For Shame! :P

Anish Kohli Avinash wrote: "And I did agree with you on battle sequences so yeah.. but I think you're missing a point here with elves. Hmmmm how should I put it?

Legolas's reactions and words are quite different than it shou..."

Its not about Elves or Dwarves or Men but the dialogue itself. Even Aragorn sounds funny in places.

Anish Kohli Yamna wrote: " Legolas is the most useless character in my opinion as his words, few as they are, mostly miss the mark by a big margin.

USELESS?
Why you little....

*sends for a team of people to ready the torture chamber for a new resident*"

I called Legolas useless, not your Bloom gay guy! xD

Anish Kohli Yamna wrote: "Also, isn't Aragorn like low-key your most favorite character of all times in LOTR? (besides the Wizard obviously)"

Aragorn's character arc is shaping up but honestly, even he is a little weak. I think the best character so far has to be Faramir.

As for Arwen or Eowyn for that matter, the love stories are almost absent compared to the movies. I miss that.

Legolas? His dialogues are just not cool. Like "Ai Ai, A Balrog has come!" :P

Anish Kohli Krystal wrote: "...but Sam was Frodo's servant! He was his gardener! And even though they developed a friendship, Sam's identity is defined by his loyalty to his 'master'. So even though Frodo really views him as ..."

Matter of how you define the word master and Servant, i guess. I wont call my Gardner my servant. Rather employee. Even if I did, and then if I felt friendship for him, I wont address him that way.

Like I said Krystal, this is something that conflicts with my personal ideology. :)

Sucharita Paul Its just kick-you-in-the-crotch spit-you-on-the-neck FANTASIC!!

Anish Kohli Sucharita wrote: "Its just kick-you-in-the-crotch spit-you-on-the-neck FANTASIC!!"

Whut? I loved the book!
It aint a bad review! :0

Sucharita Paul Noo noo! When did I say that the review was bad! Did i?did i?

Anish Kohli Sucharita wrote: "Noo noo! When did I say that the review was bad! Did i?did i?"

Lol! Then what did you mean miss bcz it was lost on me :P

message 24: by Sucharita (last edited Oct 21, 2017 07:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sucharita Paul Oh Don't worry you are a smart guy! You'll get it in no time!:-)

Avinash Sucharita wrote: "Its just kick-you-in-the-crotch spit-you-on-the-neck FANTASIC!!"

description

Aaryan One of your longest reviews! Very nice one. Better than Eragon?

Anish Kohli Sucharita wrote: "Oh Don't worry you are a smart guy! You'll get it in no time!:-)"

Hahhaa, well apparently not smart enough! :P

Anish Kohli Aaryan wrote: "One of your longest reviews! Very nice one. Better than Eragon?"

Thanks :)

Well, I would never compare this to Eragon and unlike many people, I do not even see the resemblance, if that's what you are asking.

message 29: by Sr3yas (new)

Sr3yas Great review, mate. But who are these invisible people you talk to?

Anish Kohli Sr3yas wrote: "Great review, mate. But who are these invisible people you talk to?"

Sucharita Paul "Oh you know, the kind that haunt your dreams and wont let you sleep, trying to guilt trip you? :P"

???

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Wonderful review Anish, a joy to read indeed😆

Sucharita Paul The two towers is a better book than The Fellowship in many ways! Then why did it get only four stars when the first one got five?

Anish Kohli Sucharita wrote: ""Oh you know, the kind that haunt your dreams and wont let you sleep, trying to guilt trip you? :P"

???"

I guess you've never been attacked for your rating yet? I have ;)

Anish Kohli Craig wrote: "Wonderful review Anish, a joy to read indeed😆"

Thanks Craig! I am glad you liked it. :)
This was an amazing book! ^_^

Anish Kohli Sucharita wrote: "The two towers is a better book than The Fellowship in many ways! Then why did it get only four stars when the first one got five?"

Well, you see, I did mention the reason in the review! :P
The book is definitely worth 5 stars but I personally do not like the treatment of Sam. The rating has nothing to do with the penmenship :)

Aaryan Anish wrote: "Aaryan wrote: "One of your longest reviews! Very nice one. Better than Eragon?"

Thanks :)

Really? People say Eragon is a copy of this series!

But still, one has to be better in two?

Anish Kohli Aaryan wrote: "Really? People say Eragon is a copy of this series!

But still, one has to be better in two? ."

Like I said, people say its a rip off but I dont see it. If you call using elves and dwarves as a rip off then I think a lot of books would qualify.
I wont compare the two. They are just that different. But I am personally biased to Eragon series as you would have seen in my review. :)

Em*bedded-in-books* A great review... was mildly bored with hobbit and am scared to venture into LOTR proper. This gives me hopes.

Anish Kohli Syl wrote: "A great review... was mildly bored with hobbit and am scared to venture into LOTR proper. This gives me hopes."

Oh you must venture in! It is a brilliant series so far! I am going to go out on a limb and give you the link for the review of first book to see if it helps! ;)

And thank you. Glad you liked the review :)

Saul the Heir of Isauldur In regards to the cliffhanger (and pray forgive my pretentious douchey-ness), The Lord of the Rings was written as a single book over a period of about six or seven months, and Tolkien never intended it to be split up. This decision was made by the publisher. So, this novel is often misnamed a "trilogy," and the fact that the movie is indeed a trilogy only adds to the misunderstanding.

I really liked your review! It was deep and, unlike most people out there who simply bash on Tolkien because he's famous or pretend like LOTR is nothing special or review the movies pretending to review the books, it was legitimately heartfelt. I agree with almost everything you've said, as this is one of my all-time favorite books (LOTR as a whole, that is). And I felt the exact same way when I first tried to read The Fellowship of the Ring. I started when I was about 12 or so, and just couldn't get through it. I came back having read much more books and fantasy specifically and found that I LOVED it.

Anish Kohli Saul wrote: "In regards to the cliffhanger (and pray forgive my pretentious douchey-ness), The Lord of the Rings was written as a single book over a period of about six or seven months, and Tolkien never intend..."

Hahaha, no Saul, dont worry about any douchey-ness. I welcome all opinions and discussions :)

As a matter of fact, I didnt know that it was one story written in 6 volumes and published as 3 books. I came to know from the introductions in book 1. That and quite a bit more about how many times it was republished and corrected.

I am glad you liked my review :)
Its one of the best books I have read thus far and I am really looking forward to the last book :)

Avinash Anish wrote: "Well, I would never compare this to Eragon and unlike many people, I do not even see the resemblance, if ..."

Well! people say love is blind and clearly you are in love with the inheritance cycle.

Avinash Anish wrote: "Like I said, people say its a rip off but I dont see it. If you call using elves and..."

Having said that, I love the way he carried the entire series. But I will never rate that series as higher as this.

Anish Kohli Avinash wrote: "Anish wrote: "Well, I would never compare this to Eragon and unlike many people, I do not even see the resemblance, if ..."

Well! people say love is blind and clearly you are in love with the inhe..."

Anish Kohli Avinash wrote: "I won't say it's a rip off. Paolini played it smartly. He used LOTR, Star Wars and jumbled them together and served it with some sprinklers from few other good series."

Havent read Star Wars so really cant comment. Maybe you can elaborate?

Avinash Anish wrote: "Havent read Star Wars so really cant comment. Maybe you can elaborate?"

Anish Kohli Avinash wrote: "Anish wrote: "Havent read Star Wars so really cant comment. Maybe you can elaborate?"

PLEASE tell me you have seen the movies, otherwise I am blocking you right now :P"

Well, rest easy. I have seen the movies but its been ages so I dont really remember them. So go on and elaborate ;)

Avinash Anish wrote: "Read my review of Eragon and you'll know why. I do love it but I also said I would never compare the two :)"

Ab tak chhappan me se ek like mera bhi hai dost :P

And if I am not wrong we had a chat on that review regarding the upcoming series as well. But I know it's hard to keep track when you have too many fans ;) (Please don't unleash the kraken on me, it's a joke :P)

Saul the Heir of Isauldur Oh, you're in for a treat! Return of the King is great!

« previous 1