H. Bentham's Reviews > Keeping the Distance

Keeping the Distance by Clarisse David

Read 2 times

This is my first Clarisse David book and now I get why she’s on most people’s 1-click list. First few lines at the beginning of this got me hooked, trapped and reeled-in!

The development of the characters, as well as Melissa and Lance’s romance were on point too. Somewhere in the middle, I found myself eagerly waiting for goody-goody Melissa to break and unleash her inner rebel. Her father was suffocating! I get where he was coming from but jeez, let her breathe a little. Melissa as pretty enough to worry any parent, sure, but she was smart enough not to get herself in big trouble, too. Okay, granted she did get tangled up with trouble (called Lance) but that’s beside my point. If anything, Lance changed to a better, more responsible student because of Melissa. Her father should know that! (Obviously, I have very strong feelings for this but that’s because Clarisse wrote this so well and she got me so invested. Haha)

+ I must commend the sense of place Clarisse put in this book. I have never been to Iloilo but now I want to go there and retrace Melissa and Lance’s steps, marvel at the beauty of a city that’s new but familiar to me.

+ Convenience store slurpees made me nostalgic with my own hs/college days.

+ Lance was believable as a bad boy with a heart of gold. His POV was rich and it really made me root for him for Melissa.

+ The secret date (the very first one!) was handled authentically. Anyone who’s had panic attacks because of fear of being found out will know exactly what I’m talking about.

*This review also appears on my personal blog: bentchcreates.tumblr.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Keeping the Distance.

Finished Reading
June 1, 2017 – Shelved (Kindle Edition)
Started Reading (Kindle Edition)
September 20, 2017 – Finished Reading (Kindle Edition)
October 5, 2017 – Shelved