Chelsea Humphrey's Reviews > Sleeping Beauties

Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King

47207032

it was ok

That's it?

16 days later and I'm FINALLY finished. I feel completely drained by this book and hope to write a review in the next week, but for now I think it's safe to say I didn't feel this was one of King's stronger books. I'll gather my notes together and hopefully make a compelling argument for why this didn't work well for me.

BUT I MADE IT I CROSSED THE FINISH LINE AND I DIDN'T QUIT!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sleeping Beauties.

October 5, 2017 – Started Reading
October 5, 2017 – Shelved
October 6, 2017 –
page 53
7.55% ""She flumped into her easy chair with a fart and a sigh and fired up the television."

Well. If that isn't Mr. Humphrey. 💨💨💨"
October 9, 2017 –
page 377
53.7% "Progress..."
October 15, 2017 –
page 487
69.37% "This book will go on and on my friend... Forever. 😭😭😭"
October 18, 2017 –
page 508
72.36% "Guys, I am hard core struggling to finish this. Unless the ending blows me away, I can't see this getting more than 2.5 stars from me. Do I push through and finish now that I'm this far? Do I call it quits and hang my head in shame? Thoughts?"
October 20, 2017 –
page 605
86.18% "I'm in the final haul people. I can do this! I can do hard things! Also, it has picked up slightly."
October 21, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)

message 1: by lacy (new)

lacy Ugh! I need this book! It sounds incredible!

message 2: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Smith Enjoy x

Chelsea Humphrey I'm not very far in yet but I'm completely captivated so far. I haven't read many of King's books yet, but so far this one is a strong contender for an all time favorite!

message 4: by Holly (new)

Holly  B Can't wait to read your review!

Chelsea Humphrey Holly wrote: "Can't wait to read your review!"

Thank you my dear!

message 6: by Nikola (new) - added it

Nikola Omg. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive! It's been too long! Bookdepository hurry up with helping!

Chelsea Humphrey Nikola wrote: "Omg. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive! It's been too long! Bookdepository hurry up with helping!"

Haha I know what you mean! Luckily I won my copy from Chandra and it arrived on Pub day!

Tom Swift I should finish it today. I want to hang out with the fox.

Chelsea Humphrey Tom Swift wrote: "I should finish it today. I want to hang out with the fox."

I can't wait to read more! It's been a crazy weekend that's put me behind.

Bobbi (Bobbi Reads Too Much) Starting it tomorrow! Just arrived with my BOTM box!

Chelsea Humphrey Bobbi wrote: "Starting it tomorrow! Just arrived with my BOTM box!"

Yay!!!

message 12: by Dean (new) - added it

Dean For me a must-read too!!!
Hope I can soon read it....
Dean;)

Chelsea Humphrey Hope so too Dean! Enjoy!

Laurene Also enjoyed moseying around with the "King clan" with this novel.

message 15: by Mackey (new)

Mackey I love Stephen King but I didn't finish this one. There was something off in the way they collaborated together. 😞

Chelsea Humphrey Mackey wrote: "I love Stephen King but I didn't finish this one. There was something off in the way they collaborated together. 😞"

I completely agree Mackey!

ABookwormWithWine Dang!! Now it kinda makes me regret buying it from BOTM. 😕 At least it was cheap?

Emily May Oh, that sucks :( At least you finally made it through, though! I remember your lack of enthusiasm for it when we were talking, but I was hoping it would pick up for you.

message 19: by Fiona (new) - added it

Fiona You made it! Such a shame it was a disappointment, but well done on getting through it :)

message 20: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Oh wow that’s disappointing! I love King but I know sometimes his work can be a slog to get through. Hope the next one is better!

message 21: by Kim (new)

Kim Kaso Felt exactly that way at the end of It. All that build-up, all those pages, & fizzle. One would think with 2 of them working on it they could come up with a satisfying ending. Sigh. Am just in early stages of this, meeting large cast of characters.

Chelsea Humphrey Emily May wrote: "Oh, that sucks :( At least you finally made it through, though! I remember your lack of enthusiasm for it when we were talking, but I was hoping it would pick up for you."

Thank you dear! I honestly think I have to take responsibility for at least part of it though; I should have saved this for a time when I was in the mood for something more atmospheric rather than pushing myself to read it right now. I absolutely adored your review though and I think it was perfect for those who will enjoy this book!

Chelsea Humphrey Reading.Between.Wines wrote: "Dang!! Now it kinda makes me regret buying it from BOTM. 😕 At least it was cheap?"

Honestly, most people have enjoyed his and I'm in the minority, so please don't let me cause you not to read it! I'm definitely in the minority here! 🤗

message 24: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly I'm glad it is NOT in my TBR list, honestly--LOL!

Chelsea Humphrey Kimberly wrote: "I'm glad it is NOT in my TBR list, honestly--LOL!"

message 26: by Matt (new) - rated it 4 stars

Matt Awaiting your review, but perhaps the multi-generational collaboration rubbed you the wrong way?

message 27: by ☆Dani☆ (new) - added it

☆Dani☆ ☆Touch My Spine Book Reviews☆ Man! I was looking forward to your review! Sorry that you didn't enjoy it more. I've been wanting to read this so bad!!! But all the mixed reviews has me conflicted.

Chelsea Humphrey Matt wrote: "Awaiting your review, but perhaps the multi-generational collaboration rubbed you the wrong way?"

Very well could be. I think it was just a great mixture of things and really just all came down to personal preference. I felt this leaned heavily toward political satire, and while I agree with most of the King's points and views, I like to escape from the political in my fiction. I also felt like this was wordy for the sake of being wordy; this didn't require the world building that some of his epic sagas needed so I didn't think it warranted the doorstop size. I didn't feel I needed to know all 76 character's breakfast menu each morning of each day. 😂 I also felt, for someone deciding to preach heavily on diversity and inclusion of minorities that they did a very poor job of including such in the book. There are two black characters, one gay man, and a handful of cliche lesbian prison relationships, but that was it. They could have done so much with the inclusion of everyday gay couples in this story; I wanted to know what was happening with all the gay men who weren't losing wives and daughters. Where were they and what was their experience? Any way, that's just a few points, but it was enough to cause this book to feel like a chore rather than the exciting, intelligent escape that I've found in so many other King stories.

message 29: by Ali (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ali Isn't knowing about every type of person in the world a bit too much to ask for? I agree with you on the point about the book being worry for the sake of being worry and the unnecessary large cast of characters. However, the concepts behind this book fascinates me, and the execution itself was very well done overall (The first half was BORING and the second half BRILLAINT). The thoughts and beliefs behind each character was intriguing, wasn't It? And the beauty of the whole book was the fact that each character was flawed (some secret more than others) but we see their reasoning behind their actions. What are your thoughts behind this, Chelsea? 😊😊😊

Chelsea Humphrey Ali wrote: "Isn't knowing about every type of person in the world a bit too much to ask for? I agree with you on the point about the book being worry for the sake of being worry and the unnecessary large cast ..."

I agree with many of your points Ali! I was actually the opposite; I found the first half completely mesmerizing and so well done; I guess I tend to like a slow burn in the beginning and for things to pick up afterward, but overall the pacing felt very slow throughout. I did find the overall premise to be a well needed topic of discussion, and still commend the authors for tackling such a weighty subject. As I stated above, my issues are all personal preference and nothing from a moral standpoint.

message 31: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Chelsea wrote: "Kimberly wrote: "I'm glad it is NOT in my TBR list, honestly--LOL!"

I'm not sure if I picked it up at the wrong time? Or maybe it's a case of wrong reader for a book? 😭"

I do that often enough.... :)

Chelsea Humphrey Me too Kim! 🤣

Chelsea Humphrey Mark wrote: "With you Chelsea - I made it through and didn't mind it but nowhere near his best. Thought tbere was a lot too similar to The Stand and other novel including Hill's Fireman. As a first ever King re..."

Exactly!!

message 34: by Mark (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mark Hi Chelsea, totally agree this was a chore. I generously gave it 3 stars because, like you, I was really into it early on. If you have time to check out my review you'll note my own theory boils down to the difference between a book that is "epic" and one that is really long for no reason. Next time I see a cast list, I'm going to skip! :-)

Jessica Strange I feel the same. About half of the content could have been cut and it would have made it great. It took me a little over 2 weeks to get through. They over explain every single detail in the book.

Aimee Rousseau Congrats! I made it to page 522 and I feel like a failure giving up but I just can’t finish. I was totally into it at first and loved the concept and everything that was happening. But now it’s been sitting untouched for over a week and I just don’t care enough to even pick it back up. It only it had been a little shorter I’m sure I could’ve trudged through. I 100% agree with feeling drained by this novel.

Chelsea Humphrey Bahaha Aimee thank you. 😂 I’m so sorry you didn’t enjoy it either though.

message 38: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Schulman Trying to get through it and it's torture. Wish he'd cut out 300 pages. The last book of his I liked was Dr. Mercedes - after that meh. This one - not sure I'll finish it.

message 39: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa I felt the same way. Very tedious reading. Felt like I was slogging through thick mud to get to the end that seemed to never get closer. Whew!

message 40: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Schulman Is it worth it? Cause I didn't get half way through. Get to the point Mr. King - I love you madly but lately.....

message 41: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Schulman I wish he'd bring back the old days where every one of his novels was a frightening treat!

Kim D Agreed!! I'm so disappointed in this one...

message 43: by Lauren (new)

Lauren Schulman I still had several hundred pages to go before I quit reading. Hope others enjoy the book enough to finish.

Susan Haught I'm a HUGE SK fan, but I'm slogging through this one...the finish line is about 120 very loooooong pages away. Four pages of characters listed? Oy. I think every person in Dooling has a part. But, I'll finish it. Someday.

message 45: by Via (new) - rated it 2 stars

Via Portera I envy you. I just couldn't make myself finish the whole thing.

message 46: by Lucas (new)

Lucas den Braven I have read all -well almost- of mr King's books, and this is the first one I didn't finish. I got completely lost in all the characters and didn't see any big picture anymore. Maybe try again sometime soon.

message 47: by Kate (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kate Wilburn "That's it" pretty much summed up my thoughts as well. Like I read all of these pages for that to be the ending!?

message 48: by Todd (new)

Todd I'm about half way thru . . . but am contemplating kicking this one to the curb. It truly is a slog. I bought it in the airport (I don't remember where that was, Slovakia Prague, maybe) hoping to kill some long hours . . . the booked helped in that regard because I ended up falling asleep pretty soon after hitting page 30 or so. I've picked it up now and again but just can't stay interested. UGH! I like Joe Hill's writing so much better!!!!

Melanie I gave this one 2 stars too, I actually feel guilty about how hard I was on this book. Thank you for understanding...I don’t feel so alone now.

Chelsea Humphrey Melanie wrote: "I gave this one 2 stars too, I actually feel guilty about how hard I was on this book. Thank you for understanding...I don’t feel so alone now."

Totally agree with your review, Mel!

« previous 1