Jennifer's Reviews > Adorned: Living Out the Beauty of the Gospel Together

Adorned by Nancy DeMoss Wolgemuth

bookshelves: christian-living

I received a copy of this book from the publisher for the purpose of this review.

Adorned: Living Out the Beauty of the Gospel Together is a practical, down to earth treatise on living according to the scripture in Titus chapter 2. Discussing how both older and younger women can benefit from living according to the lessons Paul imparts to Titus, and how that calling relates to the wider narrative of scripture, Nancy Wolgemuth has written a wonderful treatise on what Christ has called us to be as Christians and as women.

I found plenty of encouragement in the pages of Adorned, but also plenty to challenge me. Nancy was careful to always draw attention back to scripture for every chapter - and not just from Titus. She shares plenty of personal anecdotes to illustrate the benefits of community, particularly a diverse community of women of all ages. All of her insights stay Biblically grounded. I especially appreciated that she began with a chapter on doctrine - and on why doctrine is important. "Doctrine is our what. Its application is our now what" (page 47).

There is a great deal of time spent on a concept called "sophron" - Greek for "sound mind" - and why it is fundamental to living the Christian life.

Instead of viewing Titus 2 (or Proverbs 31, for that matter) as a list of rules or a paragon to emulate, Nancy suggests that they are to help establish priorities, giving us a heart (or a sound mind) from which we can live the kind of life that will draw others to Christ.

I especially appreciated that Nancy's perspective is different than wife and mother. Married for the first time recently and in her 50's, she is still able to understand God's purpose for her life within the context of scripture traditionally interpreted for wives and mothers. She repeatedly draws those without husbands or children back into the community she describes and reminds all women of their value and purpose. I'd recommend this book for any woman looking to be challenged and encouraged in her Christian life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Adorned.

October 5, 2017 – Started Reading