Jenn | Shelf-Righteous's Reviews > The Beautiful Ones

The Beautiful Ones by Silvia Moreno-Garcia

liked it
bookshelves: arc, read-in-2017

The one thing I can say about this book is that I definitely rushed through it pretty quickly - I finished it the second night I was reading it, in a epic binge-reading session. So I definitely at least "liked" it.

Some things that didn't quite make sense to me or I didn't quite like:
-The Title: Though "the beautiful ones" are mentioned occasionally, they really aren't a huge part of this book. They aren't described, and you would think that maybe they'd have a purpose or the plot would be related to them but I just didn't get that.
-Nina being fond of insects: Is it just me or is this becoming a common theme in books that are set in this victorian-esque time period? I feel like I keep reading about female characters who are into bugs or butterflies or beetles.
-This is supposed to be Sci/Fi?- The only thing included in this book that is science fiction is that two of the characters are telekinetics in a world where people know it exists, but that is literally it. They don't really do anything with it (I mean there are bits, but it's not a focal point by any means.) The publisher claims this to be Romance and Science Fiction, but they really should just take the Science Fiction out.
-Slow Pace: I felt like I read 500 pages of Nina pining over Hector when the book wasn't even 500 pages.
-Nina's age: They say Nina is 19 and turns 20, but she is truly treated as a child throughout the book. What's this about? We've got all these other kids running about saving the world and this kid can't even tell when her cousin's messing around with her?

One thing the book definitely has going for it is character development, at least with one character in particular. I rarely dislike characters so quickly, but man did I want to rip Valerie's face off. Also, the book does a great job at making you move with the ebb and flow of the the plot. And I definitely still wanted to see some matchmaking made toward the end.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Read this review and more like it on my blog: http://www.shelf-righteous.com/index....

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Beautiful Ones.

October 5, 2017 – Started Reading