Raymond St.'s Reviews > Annals of Klepsis

Annals of Klepsis by R.A. Lafferty

As a kid, I read only fantasy and sci-fi short stories. I read anthologies, never paying attention to author names. Upon reaching a certain amount of years and bodily hair, I moved to books. I stumbled across a lunatic wonder called Apocalypses.

Working backwards in thought, I was able to identify stories years past that must have been written by Lafferty. The style-characteristics were consistent:
1) they moved freely outside all lines.
2) they were funny and weird, yet comprehensible; even eloquent.
3) They were marvelously crafted, always my latest favorites.

Annals of Klepsis is:
1) A short novel about a mad planet of peg-legged Irishmen.
2) A deep analysis of the concepts of history and reality within social paradigms.
3) A dream shared by escaped asylum inmante sitting next you on the bus.
4) All of the above. <--- correct answer

Fantasy writers talk endlessly about 'world-building'. A language, a map showing 'The Sea of This' beside 'The mountains of that' and the ancient capital of the 'Kingdom of What'. Add background murders, ancient feuds and curses; then let simmer.

Most of the thought-creation process is focused on 'What will sound realistic in terms of like everyone else's fantasy world'. We copy and paste planets now-a-days; and imagination pays the cost.

The shear power of imagination and 'I don't care what anyone else thinks' is seldom seen in fantasy. Anyone looking for it? Go visit Klepsis: planet of peg-legged Irish pirates.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Annals of Klepsis.

January 1, 1990 – Started Reading
February 1, 1990 – Finished Reading
October 5, 2017 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Jim (new)

Jim Heter R. A. Lafferty is one of my all time favorite writers, If I could write with as much imagination and skill as he does, I'd be very proud of myself. (As it is, not so much.) My favorite of his was The Devil is Dead. One of the few books I have read more than once.

Raymond St. J. Heter and R. A. Lafferty have a lot in common.
The engineering background, the interest in human potential and paradigms, the over-the-top 'what if' style of thinking.

I only did this review 'cause I saw Tanafon rating 'Space Chanty'; got me recalling. I might zip thru all of them for fun.

Hi, Jim!