may ➹'s Reviews > The City of Brass

The City of Brass by S.A. Chakraborty

did not like it
bookshelves: 1-star, read-2018, adult, boring, buddy-reads, disappointing, diverse, fantasy, historical-fiction, in-the-trash, ownvoices, rep-bipoc-author, pov-3rd, pov-multiple, pretty-cover, unpopular-opinion, rep-bipoc
Recommended for: people who like to suffer

The feeling you get when one of your most anticipated books lives up to your expectations is one of the best. It’s the contentment that you feel about not hating everything you read. It’s the peacefulness that you feel knowing that you actually can like books. And most of all, it’s the excited feeling of finally NOT being crushed by overwhelming disappointment that a book turned out to be as good as you thought it was.

Unfortunately, The City of Brass did not give me ANY of those feelings whatsoever!!

In fact, I had to DNF the book at page 353 because I found that I’d stopped caring about… 353 pages ago. This was after 19 DAYS of trying extremely hard to find a sliver of motivation, a tiny piece that would make me like (or even just tolerate) this book and keep going. (Tbh it was probably just 14 days and then another 5 days of not reading but still pretending like I actually cared enough to finish.)

But nope!! None of that happened!! Somehow I sinned, and some entity thinks that my first one-star read of the year should also be the book I mentally five-starred and expected to become one of my favorites. I feel like someone just held out a chocolate-chip cookie to me and said I could have it, only to snatch it away from me when I reach for it. WHO DOES THAT.

🌹 THE WRITING... AKA “A STRAW IS MORE INTERESTING THAN THIS”

My main problem with this book was the writing. I swear, the writing was the equivalent of every single time I almost fell asleep in class because I was SO. BORED. It was extremely dry and dense and even harder to get through than a standardized test you take for four hours and all the black text starts swimming in front of your eyes. I honestly felt so emotionally drained from just opening the book sometimes that I didn’t even have the energy to close it????

Like I get how some people could see it as beautiful, or amazing, or whatever glowing compliments they have to serve it. But… y’all it was so boring that I didn’t even finish reading one page before getting distracted by the straw in my mouth and moving it around for at least five minutes and then realizing that I wasn’t reading anymore, trying to read, and giving up after I read two pages.

It was a STRAW. A straw was more entertaining this book. I bet I could’ve swallowed that straw and it would still hurt less than reading this, jesus christ!!!

I mean, there were literal 300-WORD ESSAYS on what simple objects or rooms looked like. It described what a throne looked like in approximately 51038746 words??? That’s 5102938744 WORDS TOO MANY—you could literally say “the throne” and I’d imagine a throne. That’s it. That’s all it takes. Two words. You could even just describe it in ONE word, “throne”, and I’d still be able to imagine a throne!! Wow!!!

Listen, if I can’t keep my attention on one page because of excessive descriptions, how do you expect me to pay attention for the rest of the book?? I lost my focus, empathy, and any willpower to live about 300 pages ago, unfortunately.

To be fair this is all really just personal preference but I really could not click with the writing style at all and my experience was GREAT...ly affected in a way that made it impossible to actually read and enjoy the book.

🌷 PLOT & CHARACTERS, WHICH WERE, SURPRISE, BORING

What made the dry-dense-makes-me-want-to-die writing even WORSE was that for like the first 50% of the book, all Nahri and Dara were doing was roaming around in the desert. Doing nothing, except flirting but pretending they didn’t like each other because it’s FoRBidDeN. Are we really still pretending like we care?? In this economy???

And tbh the whole premise was a very generic fantasy plot. The mythology made it different and more interesting, but it’s basically just a fancy version of: girl discovers she is Speshul and has mAGiCaL POweRs—takes an eternity to travel to the place of Speshul People—falls in love with someone on the way because yes of course there has to be romance even when the characters have absolutely no chemistry—[insert other generic fantasy plot events that happened because I gave up after that]

The characters were all very meh. Nahri and Ali were both quite bland and didn’t really have any character traits. Like you know paper? That blank white thin sheet of nothing? That’s exactly what reminds me of them. And while Dara wasn’t the BEST character, at least he had an actual, you know, personality. And he roasted Ali so that was extremely entertaining.

(Also I realize I didn’t introduce who the characters were at all but I literally Do Not Care, and I definitely Do Not Feel Obliged To Give Any More Of My Energy For The Sake Of This Book. So just trust me when I say they are, uhhhh, not worth my time writing or your time reading. You can thank me later when you DNF this book at page one.)

🌹 WORLDBUILDING (OR AS I LIKE TO CALL IT, CONFUSED NICK YOUNG)

And my final complaint is the worldbuilding. I actually found the whole Daeva world super interesting, but unfortunately, I had no idea what was going on. Apparently there are Daeva, who are also called djinn, but some Daeva aren’t called djinn and I only know WHY from another person’s review??? And then there are different Daeva tribes all over the continent, but there’s one specific tribe that’s called Daeva, and there’s nothing to differentiate the tribe and the species as a whole??

I mean, I might be stupid (I am) but the worldbuilding confused me so much. And it also was literally DUMPED onto the reader in the first hundred pages, plus all the historical context and cultural background. The whole experience can be easily compared to sitting on the toilet for too long that you get pins and needles, and when you try to walk, you almost fall over from the sudden pain that erupts in your feet that you didn’t ask for because you just wanted to pee!!!

🌷 THE ONLY PROS

• ownvoices Muslim rep!!! in fantasy!!!! which is so so important!!!! (I can’t comment on the rep so I recommend you read May’s ownvoices review!)
• beautiful brown characters!!
• it is set in the Middle East!!
• a hijabi is on the cover!!
• okay that’s it

Anyways, my favorite emotion is crippling disappointment, so I’m glad I got to experience that with this book!! I’m now going to take a one-way trip to Antarctica to live with the penguins because I’m emotionally exhausted from all the effort it took me to read this without compensation, and even if penguins smell horrible, they’ll never let me down like this book did!!!

Little quick disclaimer because I’m paranoid!!! I realize I was a bit... harsh with this book. But honestly if you want to read, read it!! I think it’s an important book, especially concerning rep!! But I’m extremely salty over this and the only way to get my salt out is to uhhhh roast things.

// failed buddy read with the fav fake & oldie & pretty p*ni

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The City of Brass.

October 4, 2017 – Shelved
October 4, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
January 10, 2018 – Started Reading
January 12, 2018 –
page 63
11.82% "i’m pretending that this is going swimmingly well, when really, inside, i can feel all my hopes slowly shriveling up"
January 15, 2018 –
page 178
33.4% "things are FINALLY getting interesting & less slow, but i'm still 1) confused & 2) wondering why there is so much description of the setting like i could literally could care less about what some throne room looks like????"
January 17, 2018 –
page 270
50.66% "me: [is reading this book]
me: ohhh should i put books in front of other books on my bookshelf to save shelf space
me: but what books would go behind all the other ones???
me:
me: this one"
January 28, 2018 –
page 325
60.98% "i’ve been reading this for more than two weeks 🙃🙃🙃"
January 29, 2018 –
page 359
67.35% "me before reading this: okay cool!! i think i can actually read this now!!!

me after reading one page: i’ll be back in another week"
February 3, 2018 – Shelved as: 1-star
February 3, 2018 – Shelved as: pretty-cover
February 3, 2018 – Finished Reading
May 20, 2018 – Shelved as: unpopular-opinion
May 20, 2018 – Shelved as: rep-bipoc

Comments Showing 1-50 of 63 (63 new)

*Layali* Really? A historical fiction? Saaaad day... I'm still going to try and read it soon, but I was super excited about a new fantasy series! Also, you're not allowed to delete your account :)

message 2: by may ➹ (last edited Jan 11, 2018 05:07AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

may ➹ Jennika wrote: "Really? A historical fiction? Saaaad day... I'm still going to try and read it soon, but I was super excited about a new fantasy series! Also, you're not allowed to delete your account :)"

i didn't realize it was historical until i started! but yeah, at least it's still fantasy!! and hahaha don't worry, i won't. hopefully

may ❀ binch im reading it too add me to the br

Dark Sith Lordette Jennymort ♔ i'm going to be stalking updates ladies. i want to know how this turns out.

Scrill You hardly notice it’s a historical fiction! It’s really only evident in the beginning.

may ➹ maybelline™ wrote: "binch im reading it too add me to the br"

okay fine

may ➹ Jennymort ~The Dark Lord, House of Slytheread~ wrote: "i'm going to be stalking updates ladies. i want to know how this turns out."

aahh so far it's really slow??? hopefully it'll get a little faster soon!!

message 8: by Sana (new) - added it

Sana binch me too add me to the br

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

dude why am i the fake? insulted

message 10: by Mel (new) - added it

Mel Anie How do you like it so far? I have it on my tbr list and I wonder if I should read it next.

may ➹ Scrill wrote: "You hardly notice it’s a historical fiction! It’s really only evident in the beginning."

yeah, that's true!!

may ➹ sana wrote: "binch me too add me to the br"

yes ma'am

may ➹ ilsa ➹ wrote: "dude why am i the fake? insulted"

bc that's who you are, i can't lie to my fans

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

may ➹ wrote: "ilsa ➹ wrote: "dude why am i the fake? insulted"

bc that's who you are, i can't lie to my fans"

well if hosenty is the policy here why dont i just refer to you as "peice of crap" all the time (view spoiler)

message 15: by kai (new)

kai jiang That's historical fiction??? I never would've of guessed....

message 16: by julianna ➹ (new) - added it

julianna ➹ @ilsa we should start doing that, I already call her fatal disease so I’m sure it won’t be hard

message 17: by monica (new) - added it

monica If you move to Antarctica at least you'll have the penguins

may ➹ ilsa ➹ wrote: "may ➹ wrote: "ilsa ➹ wrote: "dude why am i the fake? insulted"

bc that's who you are, i can't lie to my fans"

julianna ➹ wrote: "@ilsa we should start doing that, I already call her fatal disease so I’m sure it won’t be hard"

well first of all it's spelled "piece",,,

may ➹ Kai wrote: "That's historical fiction??? I never would've of guessed...."

it only seems like so in the beginning! after i think about 50%, they enter a fantasy world

may ➹ monica wrote: "If you move to Antarctica at least you'll have the penguins"

but it'll be so cold

message 21: by julianna ➹ (new) - added it

julianna ➹ b i n c h

message 22: by julianna ➹ (new) - added it

julianna ➹ don't hate this

message 23: by julianna ➹ (new) - added it

julianna ➹ :(

message 24: by Sana (new) - added it

Sana why are u still reading this

Nicole It’s not historical fiction, don’t worry lol

message 26: by Celaena (new) - added it

Celaena Sardothien How are you finding it so far?

may ➹ @ju too late so far it's 1.5 stars 🙃

may ➹ sana wrote: "why are u still reading this"

bc i feel like DNFing but also not (view spoiler)

message 29: by Alice (new)

Alice I read part of this, but then once it switched to the other guy I quit because I stopped caring.

lily ☁️ Oh no. :( I was actually excited for this, but everyone seems to hate it.

message 31: by Alice (new)

Alice Lily wrote: "Oh no. :( I was actually excited for this, but everyone seems to hate it."

I actually really liked the parts I read, but there was a perspective shift around 50 pages in to a different character and I never got back in the mood to read this.

evelyn hugo’s #1 fan i mean.... u can send me ur copy if u didn't like it :P

may ❀ HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAH ONE WAY IM CRYING

Amanda Kratz Lol, I really liked it. I’m waiting to read your review. I always love how folks can view books so completely opposite.

Scrill Bummer. I really liked it! Can’t wait to see your roast though!

message 36: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie Rose is on hiatus I live for these book roasts.

may ➹ Nicole wrote: "It’s not historical fiction, don’t worry lol"

well there were some historical events the book mentioned but then it got more into the fantasy world!!

may ➹ Celaena wrote: "How are you finding it so far?"

i ended up DNFing, if that tells u anything 🙈

Julia Carlton If only you finished it xD

message 40: by madeline ♡ (new)

madeline ♡ dangg i just realized it's like 500 pages. and a historical fiction. IT WAS A GOOD RUN i'm impressed you made it that far loll.

message 41: by [deleted user] (new)

im still so proud of you for getting that far. this book actually made my iq drop by 75%

may ➹ Alice wrote: "I read part of this, but then once it switched to the other guy I quit because I stopped caring."

god i should've DNFed it a long time ago, i wasted so much time & energy on this

message 43: by may ➹ (last edited Feb 08, 2018 05:49AM) (new) - rated it 1 star

may ➹ Lily wrote: "Oh no. :( I was actually excited for this, but everyone seems to hate it."

literally SO. MANY. PEOPLE. love this book and i'm ??? so confused about why i didn't. but maybe you might like it since i seem to be in the minority here!!

may ➹ Amelie wrote: "i mean.... u can send me ur copy if u didn't like it :P"

may ➹ maymay ☕ wrote: "HAHAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAH ONE WAY IM CRYING"

i haven't left yet but the date is coming soon

may ➹ Amanda wrote: "Lol, I really liked it. I’m waiting to read your review. I always love how folks can view books so completely opposite."

i'm super glad you liked it!! and yeah it's always interesting to see the completely opposite opinion 😊

may ➹ Scrill wrote: "Bummer. I really liked it! Can’t wait to see your roast though!"

i'm glad you liked it scrill!! and agh the roast was so much fun 😂

may ➹ Mackenzie wrote: "I live for these book roasts."

I DO TOO

message 49: by Alice (new)

Alice When I read a bit of this I liked it, but it also felt average on all fronts so I quit early.

message 50: by [deleted user] (new)

I AM IN FULL SUPPORT OF THESE ROASTS