Jaci Miller's Reviews > The Girl in the Ice

The Girl in the Ice by Robert Bryndza

Robert Bryndza's psychological crime thriller "The Girl in the Ice" is a fast-paced, intriguing look at the murder of a young woman from an affluent family. A family with power and secrets.

Written by a UK author for a UK audience, the book’s text is full of references and words that American readers may not be familiar with but for me, whose parents were British, it was something I was very comfortable with and enjoyed submersing into the cultural environment of the London area and the Metropolitan police.

The protagonist, Erika Foster is the lead detective on a high-profile murder case and one I had a love/hate relationship with. I loved that she is a strong, intelligent female who does not bend to gender norms and has worked hard to get where she is. But hated that she had an arrogance that dictated her professional decisions, often to her own detriment. As a significantly flawed individual due to personal tragedies, her arrogance and lack of respect for the rules of law and those she worked with, affected her likability and I found myself at times both rooting for her and admonishing her for her callous nature.

Emotionally damaged by the death of her husband, Erika is clearly still affected by the pain and guilt she feels, blaming herself for her husband’s death. Unfortunately, she did not learn from the loss and the situation that went horribly wrong because of her arrogance. Three years later and now back on the job she continues to act irrationally, disrespect authority and rules of procedure, and seems to intentionally aggravate the elite establishment that has all the power – even at her own peril. Erika Foster, while a complex character, is not one that a reader can easily get invested in.

Thankfully the twisty story line keeps the reader engaged. While much of the plot revolves around the work of trying to uncover the killer’s identity, Bryndza creates a complex story line with interesting characters, political games, and a masterful who-done-it that is impossible to figure out before the end reveal.

The Girl in the Ice was an engaging read, and even though I found Erika Foster’s character difficult to like, the story line, plot twists, and vast array of interesting minor characters made it a difficult book to put down. I am interested to see what Bryndza does with the next book in the series and how/if Erika Foster’s character development changes her into a more likable heroine.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Ice.

October 4, 2017 – Started Reading