da AL's Reviews > Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan

it was ok
bookshelves: modern-literary
Read 2 times. Last read November 2, 2017.

The first third of it was promising, then everything about it petered out. The Harry Potter meets techie vibe began ok, but got tedious. A romance started off interestingly, then quickly wallowed. The same for the author's philosophical ruminations on book love in all its forms: print, ebook, audio. Be it characters, settings, or situations, all started interesting, then turned into duds. I skimmed through the last third, finished it only because I'd started it.

The audio book reader, however, was great.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore.

Finished Reading
October 4, 2017 – Shelved
November 2, 2017 – Started Reading
November 2, 2017 – Shelved as: modern-literary
November 2, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

Kwoomac Sorry you didn't like it.

Cheri I liked this a bit more than you, and it's been a while since I read it, but I do remember that feeling of being pulled in by things only to have that fade away.

Paula Kalin I enjoyed this book more than you, Da. But that’s the wonder of Goodreads!

message 4: by Adina (new)

Adina Took it our of my list.

message 5: by da (new) - rated it 2 stars

da AL Kwoomac wrote: "Sorry you didn't like it."

Kwoomac -- many thanks for your comment - so sorry I only saw it now. No biggie - I love how we're all book lovers on GR :-)

message 6: by da (new) - rated it 2 stars

da AL Cheri wrote: "I liked this a bit more than you, and it's been a while since I read it, but I do remember that feeling of being pulled in by things only to have that fade away."

Wish I'd seen this earlier to thank you in a timely fashion, Cheri. Many thanks for commenting!

message 7: by da (new) - rated it 2 stars

da AL Paula wrote: "I enjoyed this book more than you, Da. But that’s the wonder of Goodreads!"

So true, Paula

message 8: by da (new) - rated it 2 stars

da AL Adina wrote: "Took it our of my list."
Hate to discourage anyone from reading a book - so many have enjoyed it -- perhaps you're better off giving the first chapter a try?

Elyse (retired from reviewing/semi hiatus) Walters Hey... our 2 stars match! Lol.

message 10: by da (new) - rated it 2 stars

da AL Elyse wrote: "Hey... our 2 stars match! Lol."

we have good taste, Elyse :)

message 11: by C. (last edited Oct 08, 2019 04:35AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C. Adina, Elyse: I have a review that not only appreciated everything about this book to the tune of five stars. It is one of my favourite all-time books! I mention it on my profile! This is a rare example of non-crime mystery. Authors don't write other mysteries for adults enough. For me, interest climaxed into a wonderful conclusion; a well-researched adventure which the personages did real legwork to solve. There is lovely confirmation that the computer industry will never replace things that physical books and recordkeeping do.

message 12: by da (new) - rated it 2 stars

da AL C. wrote: "Adina, Elyse: I have a review that not only appreciated everything about this book to the tune of five stars. It is one of my favourite all-time books! I mention it on my profile! This is a rare ex..."

Non-crime mystery - hadn't thought about it before, but makes perfect sense!

message 13: by C. (last edited Oct 09, 2019 05:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

C. No one thinks of it because they haven't watched for it as I do: until now. I loved creative mysteries as a kid and don't think adults should be limited to detective types. I have convinced many folks who thought they didn't like mystery, that it is only the crime kind that disinterests them. There are so many other, more engrossing mysteries to solve! Anyway this book meant a lot to me and I am glad you looked at my review to see what I got out of it. You will find a reply to all your visits, Da. What a lovely way to open our friendship! Gratefully, Carolyn.

message 14: by da (new) - rated it 2 stars

da AL C. wrote: "No one thinks of it because they haven't watched for it as I do: until now. I loved creative mysteries as a kid and don't think adults should be limited to detective types. I have convinced many fo..."

likewise, Carolyn!