Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts's Reviews > The Sun and Her Flowers

The Sun and Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur

bookshelves: 4-star

Spoiler Free! Full review available at Bookmark Your Thoughts.

"i notice everything i do not have
and decide it is beautiful"

After read Kaur's milk and honey, I had this NEED to read her other more commonly known collection: the sun and her flowers. Like it's predecessor, this collection is moving beyond belief. Touching upon a number of important topics, Kaur provides understanding and comfort for a wide audience.

As I've mentioned a number of times, poetry is rather subjective. This review will attempt to examine the layout and structure of the poems and novel itself, rather than necessarily critique the works within it.

CONTENT & TRIGGER WARNING: This book contains topics regarding abuse (multiple), alcoholism, anxiety, manipulation (toxic relationship), racism, rape (sexual abuse, sexual assault, toxic relationship, pedophilia), sex, and trauma (victim blaming).

The Pros

More than its predecessor, the sun and her flowers discusses an even wider range of topics. Sexual assault, gender inequality, racism, feminism, healing, the bonds of family ... these are a few of the topics that are discussed in both milk and honey and the sun and her flowers. But with this new collection, Kaur opens up the dialogue to even more important topics. An emphasis on friendship, our treatment of our planet, a greater attention to social stigmas of beauty and more focus on motherly bonds are topics in particular that hit me more. By expanding her topic range, Kaur has allowed for more people to feel connected to not only her works but with individuals in the world. With this, so many more people can find comfort and healing through the words painted on these precious pages.

Not only is the poetry itself beautiful, but Kaur's illustrations are captivating. Kaur was taught at a young age to express herself through art, so it's no surprise she uses her gift to further emphasis her meanings in her written work. Not only are the illustrations stunning, but they capture the meaning of the poems and provide further meaning to readers.

The subtitles within this collection accurately depict the poems within, making the content flow like a story. Like milk and honey, Kaur separates her poems into different section: wilting, falling, rooting, rising, and blooming. Firstly, I love how Kaur maintains this floral element through the sub chapters. But the most extraordinary thing is how RELEVANT the poems in each section are TO that particular chapter ... none feel out of place or that they're part of the wrong section. This makes the whole collection feel like a story, a story of growth and healing and inspiration.

The Woes

Sometimes, there were moments when it was hard to tell when one poem ended and the other began. For the most part, this wasn't an issue ... especially since the story in the poems flowed so well. But there WERE moments when I couldn't tell if the poem on one page was mean to connect to the one on the next, or if they were two different thoughts.

Overall

Kaur's the sun and her flowers is a HEAVY read, but completely and utterly worth it. For the loss and the broken, the scared and the shamed, the longing and lonely ... Kaur's poetry shows us that we are MORE normal than we realize, and that we are not as alone as we think we are. Her raw and open nature in her poems helps readers realize that no matter what our past holds, we are in-charge of our futures ... our pasts do not control us, for we are MUCH stronger than that.

I recommend this novel if you enjoy:

↠ A collection of free verse poetry
↠ A novel about feminism and personal growth
↠ Depth to the content and symbolism of the written word
↠ "Self help" and "healing" novels

Have you read Rupi Kaur's the sun and her flowers?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Sun and Her Flowers.

Quotes Jenna | Bookmark Your Thoughts Liked

“despite knowing
they won’t be here for long
they still choose to live
their brightest lives

- sunflowers”

Rupi Kaur
“never feel guilty for starting again”

“this morning
I told the flowers
what I'd do for you
and they blossomed”

“i am
made of water
of course i am emotional”

October 4, 2017 – Shelved