Lara (SapphicBookClub)'s Reviews > Enchanters

Enchanters by K.F. Bradshaw

bookshelves: to-queue-sff, 0-novels-on-shelves, sapphicbookclub-reads

This book was provided for free as the October's Sapphic Book Club read hosted by Sapphic Book Club.

You know how you always wanted to read a well written fantasy novel with good bunch of characters who are unique and with some f/f romance in it? Well now that exists.

What I have to compliment the most is the pacing in this book. So many fantasy books have an issue with it (be it YA or any other) and the author just nailed it in this one. There wasn't a time where nothing was happening, or where there was too much, or just info dumps. No, everything flowed so naturally and was extremely easy to follow. Which is again even more surprising considering how rich the whole world of Damea is as well as its history.

Another great thing in this book are the characters. There isn't a single protagonist as much as there's an ensemble cast and all of them are fleshed out well and we keep learning more about them as the story progresses, but there's always just enough left unknown to leave you curious and make you want to know more. They relationships are also realistic considering the circumstances they found themselves in and the romance is developed so naturally that it's almost a slowburn (but just almost). None of the characters are perfect by any means, but they all bring something unique to the table and I'm sure each one of us can see bits of ourselves in all of them too.

I want to talk about the individual characters a bit more but it might be slightly spoilery (but barely really) so I'm putting it as spoilers just in case. (view spoiler) I could honestly say so much more but this is already long enough as it is.

And I absolutely have to mention one of my favorite lines in the whole book. "The voice belonged to a woman sitting alone at one of the tables near the door. (...) She looked young, perhaps in her late thirties." This line baffled me so much because women nowadays (especially in media) as seen as "old" basically as soon as they're older than 25, which is ridiculous comparing to how society doesn't judge men like that. Ageism is a real problem today so I was honestly surprised and so glad to read something like this. I would give this book another star if I could just for this.

If you like fantasy novels, then this is a must read. It's just a well written book, easy as that, and I'm really excited to see future adventures of all of the characters!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Enchanters.

October 4, 2017 – Started Reading