Warda's Reviews > What If It's Us

What If It's Us by Becky Albertalli

bookshelves: lgbtqia

“Hollywood will make a movie about you two. And a Netflix spin-off about your gay children.”

Okay, no. I’m not accepting that ending. Just nope.
Otherwise, Becky and Adam pretty much created magic with this book.

The word (or has it become a term now?) ‘cinnamon rolls’ gets thrown around quite often for your cutesy kinda characters and while granted, a lot of them exist, I think Ben and Arthur take the damn cake. They were a match made in New York.

This was just everything a romance novel should be and Becky and Adam captured the initial stages of crushing on someone so well, the online stalking (jeezus, I related to that!🌚), the first few dates, the awkwardness because you’re not sure where this is going to go but then it beautifully settling into this rhythm you knew was there but hadn’t reached yet.

Ben and Arthur made my heart swell with happiness. AND THIS IS EXACTLY WHY I AM NOT ACCEPTING THAT ENDING, OKAY? I don’t care for fuckin realism, GIVE ME MY DAMN CHEESE GODDAMNIT! I needed (flawed) perfection throughout, because these two deserve the ultimate best. They became so real to me.

Aside from those two cinnamon rolls, we have their families who were just beautifully accepting of their sexuality and supportive of their lives. Plenty of cheesy parental jokes thrown around. Just overall great parents! Their friends who were incredible, especially Dylan. I can’t WAIT for you guys to read the shit my guy comes out with. I adored him and his bromance with Ben was the best thing to read!

Themes that were touched upon included money problems, homophobia, and race.
There’s fandoms, Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen, plentyyyy of Harry Potter references (Samantha has said it: Richard Harris was THE Dumbledore!), and the most important aspect of all, sweet ol’ gay romance.

This was just a beautiful story! I couldn’t stop smiling half the time and I hope Becky and Adam collaborate again!

THANK YOU, Simon and Schuster Children’s UK for sending me an arc. It’s been a privilege.
——————————————————
Pre-reading feels!
YOU GUYS!
I JUST RECEIVED AN ARC FOR THIS!

😭😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What If It's Us.

October 4, 2017 – Shelved
October 4, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
August 12, 2018 – Started Reading
page 0
0.0% "So, I really hated Leah on the Offbeat and loved They Both Die at the End, so I’ve no idea how this book is going to go."
page 26
5.95% "“…and she stepped outside to throw away some trash and I became trash for her.”

HAHA! What a line."
page 104
23.8% "All this online stalking that is happening right now because you met someone cute is... erm... ahem... relatable. 🙃"
page 118
27.0% "Aside from the main characters, the side characters are actually pretty fuckin phenomenal in this."
page 131
29.98% "I can’t help but constantly update my status about this book BUT IT IS SO FUNNY!!

😂😂"
page 137
31.35% "THEY HAD THEIR FIRST INTERACTION AND I’M DYING ALREADY! THIS IS TOO GODDAMN CUTE!

description"
August 13, 2018 –
page 339
77.57% "They make me want to cry! 😭😭😭
Gosh, Arthur and Ben are so OTP, it’s ridiculous."
August 14, 2018 – Finished Reading
September 15, 2020 – Shelved as: lgbtqia

Comments Showing 1-48 of 48 (48 new)

message 1: by Susana (new)

Susana Arghhh I'm so jealous 😣

Rida Imran WOW!

Stephanie ((Strazzybooks)) Can't wait to hear what you think! It looks so good

Jessica Marsh You are going to love it! It's so good!

jessica beyond jealous!! i hope you enjoy it!!

Warda Susana wrote: "Arghhh I'm so jealous 😣"

🙈🙈🙈

Warda Rida wrote: "WOW!"

It’s so cool! 😍😍

Warda Stephanie ((Strazzybooks)) wrote: "Can't wait to hear what you think! It looks so good"

It really goes, right?! 😍 I’ll definitely be sharing my thoughts.

Warda Jessica wrote: "You are going to love it! It's so good!"

Aaah I’m so excited! 😍😍😍

Warda jessica wrote: "beyond jealous!! i hope you enjoy it!!"

🙈 Thank you, Jessica. 😄

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

omg congrats!!! xoxox

message 12: by maddie (new) - added it

maddie That's so exciting!!! This looks so good and I hope you love it!!

Divine Anas AAAHHH CONGRATULATIONS LOOKING FORWARD FOR THE REVIEW HEHEHE

Warda Mavence wrote: "AAAHHH CONGRATULATIONS LOOKING FORWARD FOR THE REVIEW HEHEHE"

Madison (life uh finds a way) wrote: "That's so exciting!!! This looks so good and I hope you love it!!"

Lola wrote: "omg congrats!!! xoxox"

THANK YOU SO MUCH GUYS!! 😃💕

message 15: by Lamees (new)

Lamees OMG YOU'RE SO BLOODY LUCKY!! ENJOY IT I CAN'T WAIT TO READ YOUR REVIEW :) !!!

Warda Lamees wrote: "OMG YOU'RE SO BLOODY LUCKY!! ENJOY IT I CAN'T WAIT TO READ YOUR REVIEW :) !!!"

THANK YOU!!!! I CAN'T WAIT TO READ IT! :D

message 17: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle Slightly green with jealousy over here ;) Enjoy!

Warda Dannii wrote: "Slightly green with jealousy over here ;) Enjoy!"

Hahaha! *hides*
Thanks, love! :)

message 19: by Rusty (new)

Rusty Grey Agh!!! Every time this book resurfaces on my feed i die !! Why isn't it in my hands right now ??!! And btw enjoy!! 😂

färbe mich rot YAAAAAAS! You might enjoy it.

message 21: by Allison (new)

Allison (SPELLBOUND READER) read it now! i need to know how many tissue boxes will be needed for this read!

Warda Rusty wrote: "Agh!!! Every time this book resurfaces on my feed i die !! Why isn't it in my hands right now ??!! And btw enjoy!! 😂"

Hahahah! Thanks Rusty!!! I am dyinggg to read it! :D

Warda Sirreadsalot wrote: "YAAAAAAS! You might enjoy it."

THANK YOU!! Can see that you rated it 4 stars. :D

Warda Allison wrote: "read it now! i need to know how many tissue boxes will be needed for this read!"

LOL!!!! OMG I hope there are lots!!!! :D

message 25: by Shehzeen (new) - added it

Shehzeen Muzaffar I AM JEALOUSSSSSS

message 26: by Chelsea (new) - added it

Chelsea Moreen Holy moly! I hope you love it!!

Warda Shehzeen wrote: "I AM JEALOUSSSSSS"

😆🙈

Warda Chelsea wrote: "Holy moly! I hope you love it!!"

Thank youuu! I really hope I do too! 😃

message 29: by mwana (new)

mwana The envy I am feeling... Lawd.

message 30: by Tan✨ (new) - added it

Tan✨ Lucky you!!

Warda Mwanamali wrote: "The envy I am feeling... Lawd."

😂😂 I’m sorry and I hope you fall head over heels in love when you read this.

Warda Aelin wrote: "Lucky you!!"

Thank you!! 😄

josephine OMG I'm soooooo excited you already know that but REALLY THO

Warda Josephine wrote: "OMG I'm soooooo excited you already know that but REALLY THO"

I AM EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!! 😍
Kinda jealous you’ll get to read it for the first time. 😅

message 35: by Judy (new) - added it

Judy Ohhh How do you get ARCs? ive been wondering

Warda Judy wrote: "How do you get ARCs? ive been wondering"

Well, the publishers found me through my Instagram so that’s how I fortunately got the arc since I’m quite active on there. But you can always email them and request it. ☺️

josephine Warda wrote: "Josephine wrote: "OMG I'm soooooo excited you already know that but REALLY THO"

I AM EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!! 😍
Kinda jealous you’ll get to read it for the first time. 😅"

I'm so ready.

Warda Josephine wrote: "Warda wrote: "Josephine wrote: "OMG I'm soooooo excited you already know that but REALLY THO"

I AM EXCITED FOR YOU!!!!!! 😍
Kinda jealous you’ll get to read it for the first time. 😅"

I'm so ready."

😁😁. Can’t wait to see what you’ll think of it.

message 39: by Judy (new) - added it

Judy Ohhh Warda wrote: "Judy wrote: "How do you get ARCs? ive been wondering"

Okay thanks!!!

message 40: by Real M Y N (new) - added it

Real M Y N When I first read this book for the first time I never expected it to be perfect....No offense but when I finished reading the whole book it's like I went into a whole new amazing fantasy :D

Warda Real M Y N wrote: "When I first read this book for the first time I never expected it to be perfect....No offense but when I finished reading the whole book it's like I went into a whole new amazing fantasy :D"

Ha! Agreed. In this amazing fantasy right now. :D

message 42: by mwana (new)

mwana Warda wrote: "Mwanamali wrote: "The envy I am feeling... Lawd."

😂😂 I’m sorry and I hope you fall head over heels in love when you read this."

I'm looking forward to it. Y'all have fun.

Krnchn I love the book, and it was definitely it the ending I expected. I’m torn bc I kinda like this realistic way they choose but I was mega ready for them living happily ever after together

Warda Krnchn wrote: "I love the book, and it was definitely it the ending I expected. I’m torn bc I kinda like this realistic way they choose but I was mega ready for them living happily ever after together"

I thought that toooo!!! But now I’m like, they deserved the happily ever after. I’m still not a fan of the ending. 😭

message 45: by Anna (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anna Same, I was torn about the ending because - yes, it's realistic but so bittersweet it made me literally cry- you CAN'T tell me these two aren't going to be together, they not only deserve a happy ending/happy ever after, but as Dylan said "a Netflix spinoff about their children" 😂 However I know in my heart they are together forever❤️
Got the message though, and beside the ending I LIVED for the story and the characters 😍

Warda Anna wrote: "Same, I was torn about the ending because - yes, it's realistic but so bittersweet it made me literally cry- you CAN'T tell me these two aren't going to be together, they not only deserve a happy e..."

Yesyesyes!!!! ❤️ In my heart, that was my ending too lol I’m still not accepting it. we should write up our own ending lol with those babies included. 😆

Katie They left it mildly open ended for the two of them to get back together, because that’s my only comfort in the aftershock of finishing that book. I just really can’t, I feel like I should enjoy realistic bittersweet endings but man FUCK realism and FUCK bittersweet endings. I fucking hate bittersweet endings, they’re a lukewarm halfway point between heartbreak and a happy ending. Like almost, but not quite. And you can taste the happiness but you don’t get it and it breaks your heart and makes you feel like you’ve been broken up with. Like you want to be happy for what you got with this person but you didn’t want it to end and certainly not like that. And you know maybe one day you’ll get over it and you’ll like it, but in the immediate after you hate it, and you feel bitter and sad and I hate it. I hate bittersweet endings. I’m going to write a book themed on bittersweet endings and it’ll be a romance on why they suck and then it’ll end happily because FUCK bittersweet endingsz

Warda Katie wrote: "They left it mildly open ended for the two of them to get back together, because that’s my only comfort in the aftershock of finishing that book. I just really can’t, I feel like I should enjoy rea..."

I rather a bittersweet ending than that ending they gave us in this book lol but yeah, you’re absolutely right. You’re stuck in this halfway point with your emotions and it’s irritsting and great at the same time lol