Bonnie's Reviews > The Woman in Black

The Woman in Black by Susan Hill

Sep 23, 2011

bookshelves: pn-ghosties, gothic, adult, library, book-to-film-or-tv, mystery, z-2011, eek-the-creepies

Interested in more of my reviews? Visit my blog!

’Yes, I had a story, a true story, a story of haunting and evil, fear and confusion, horror and tragedy.

Storyline

Arthur Kipps is a junior solicitor from London who has been asked by his employer to attend the funeral of Mrs. Alice Drablow in Crythin Gifford. He must also visit her residence in order to collect any important paperwork that she may have been left behind. Arthur sees the woman in black at Mrs. Drablow’s funeral and again at her residence at Eel Marsh House. She doesn’t appear to be a malevolent spirit so Arthur doesn’t worry too much and decides to spend the night at the house so that he can quickly finish his work and return to London. But that night, Arthur begins to hear unexplainable sounds and worries that he may have underestimated the woman in black.

Thoughts
I quite enjoyed this quick little read and am glad I finally got around to reading it. I love ghost stories even though I tend to scare quite easily… and this book was no exception. The writing was beautiful and vividly creepy and definitely manages to get under your skin even though the real scary parts don’t even start till the latter half of the book. The descriptions were spot on and the whole book is simply eerie even though, in thinking back to it, nothing real huge actually happens. The ghost doesn’t come alive and smother him in his sleep or glue the windows shut or anything absurd like that. Nevertheless I was frightened enough to have to ask my boyfriend to walk upstairs with me to our darkened bedroom after I was finished. He still makes fun of me for that. Lol

Enjoying it as much as I did, I still didn’t give it 5 stars and the only reason for that was because of the ending. It left a bit to be desired for me and was a bit too abrupt for my liking.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Woman in Black.

September 23, 2011 – Shelved
September 23, 2011 – Shelved as: pn-ghosties
November 9, 2011 – Shelved as: gothic
November 23, 2011 – Started Reading
November 24, 2011 –
November 25, 2011 –
36.0% "'...as I stared at her, stared until my eyes ached in their sockets, stared in surprise and bewilderment at her presence, now I saw that her face did wear an expression. It was one of what I can only describe-and the words seem hopelessly inadequate to express what I saw-as a desperate, yearning malevolence; it was as though she were searching for something she wanted, needed-must have, more than life itself...'"
November 25, 2011 –
50.0% "'...piercing through the surface of my dreams, came the terrified whinnying of the pony and the crying and calling of that child over and over, while I stood, helpless in the mist, my feet held fast, my body pulled back, and while behind me, though I could not see, only sense her dark presence, hovered the woman.'"
November 26, 2011 – Finished Reading
July 25, 2012 – Shelved as: adult
June 7, 2013 – Shelved as: library
June 25, 2013 – Shelved as: book-to-film-or-tv
July 25, 2014 – Shelved as: mystery
November 14, 2015 – Shelved as: z-2011
January 25, 2017 – Shelved as: eek-the-creepies

Wendy Darling Ohhh, I so want to read this! I've had it forever. So look forward to hearing what you think, Miss Bonnie. :)

Bonnie It's been on my list far too long as well. I'm enjoying it so far. :)

Wendy Darling Excellent!