Jodie's Reviews > Wish You Were Here

Wish You Were Here by Renee Carlino

liked it
bookshelves: genre-adult, genre-contemporary, genre-romance

*wrinkles nose* I immediately didn't warm to the characters. Charlotte seemed childish. In saying that, I liked the writing style, it sucked me in. But this was super weird - the night that Adam and Charlotte met was just so beyond the sort of situation I would ever find myself in that I just didn't get it.

But I don't know, I just could stop reading this. I was oddly intrigued. And then when it's revealed what is wrong with Adam... man, this book suddenly got serious.

And then it was weird... the first half was so light and fluffy, then the second half got dark really quick. It felt a bit like whip lash.

Everyone walks around blabbing about love and life like we all know what it’s supposed to mean and how we’re supposed to feel. We put these stupid restrictions on our relationships . . . for what? According to whom? God? Society? None of it actually matters because when you have the unfortunate knowledge that you’re going to die very soon, none of it applies. Rules are for people with the luxury of time.

All in all, I devoured this, but I would never read it again because damn, it was depressing, and unexpectedly so. I just wasn't expecting this to be so damn sad. It was all happy one moment and then horrible the next. I wasn't expecting it. The characters growth was nice and I enjoyed the writing but man... I need to read a romance where the characters end up together now :)

But gosh, this was great too. I haven't devoured a book in ages.

I suppose at the end of the day, this book was about exactly what the author says in her acknowledgements:

And then I remembered that the last piece was about gratitude. Just simply appreciating every breath I take with the people I love by my side.

My verdict - 3.5 stars, only because I wouldn't read it again.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wish You Were Here.

October 3, 2017 – Shelved