Amanda's Reviews > Monarchs and Mendicants

Monarchs and Mendicants by Dan Groat

liked it
bookshelves: for-review-2017

In Monarchs and Mendicants, Dan Groat brings to life a thriller with heart and grit. Set against the dreary backdrop of street life and homelessness, we find ourselves torn in our disdain for the killer of these vulnerable people and shame in the fact that our main character, Gilford, is among the untold number of homeless veterans in this country. The way the struggles of those living on the streets are highlighted succeeds in pounding home the desperation and unrelenting pressure a life like that brings with it. That these people, the downtrodden and discarded of society, are the ones targeted by The Homeless Hacker is only slightly more infuriating than the fact that no one but other homeless seem to care.

I couldn't tell you what specifically it is about Groat's writing that creates such a vivid image of the world of the story. It's more than just descriptive writing, of that I am sure. His characters and their worries become your friends and your own worries, their pain your pain, their fear your fear. Masterful. Monarchs and Mendicants weaves mystery, drama, and thrills with a story of one man working alongside others like him to lift himself and them out of their respective holes of life while they work to better their community with positivity.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Monarchs and Mendicants.

October 3, 2017 – Started Reading