Shelley's Reviews > Grave Memory

Mass Market Paperback, 1st Edition, 373 pages
Expected publication: July 3rd 2012 by Roc
*ARC Received from the publisher*

*Thoughts*

I am seriously glad that I took copious notes in order to keep up with the numerous characters that appeared over the course of this story, and what part they played in the final outcome of the storyline. I think we are reintroduced to almost everyone who has played any sort of role in Alex's life since this series was released.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing. I like the fact that the characters present themselves as either friends or enemies of Alex. I like the fact that Alex is coming to terms with the fact that she's more Fae than she actually realized and she may end up losing the one thing she values most; her membership in the Organization for Magically Inclined Humans (OMIH).

I also love the fact that she and Rianna have come to terms with their relationship since Alex saved her from Coleman's control and are trying to open a PI business called Tongues for the Dead. I also liked where the story was heading with the relationship between Alex and her father who hasn't exactly been the most supportive of parental units. Now that Alex has become more Fae, she needs his help in learning about using glamour and surviving in a world full of iron.

Let me please just say that I loathe the Winter Queen for what she does to Falin Andrews with all my being. I wish this story would play itself out sooner, rather than later. I know her intentions are to lure Alex into her court where she would be under the Queen's thumb. I wish she would declare herself to be independent like Caleb has been trying to tell her for months now.

While I was hating the Winter Queen, I was loving the fact that Death played such an important role in the final story wrap. I am Team Death all the way. How can you not like him? Yes, it's a bit creepy that he's known Alex since she was 5, yet, he has also saved her life numerous times. And, they do have a bond whether readers like it or not.

I am really glad that Rianna, Caleb, Holly and Tamara are such good friends to Alex. Otherwise, I'm not sure if her sanity would be in one piece.

New character, Briar Darque, is trouble with a capital T. She is too nosy, and seems to be trying to out Alex as anything but pure human. I will be interested to see what part she plays in the future of Alex's PI business and her remaining part of the OMIH.

I've been told by Kalayna that she has been approved for 3 more books in this series! That is such amazing news! I am proud of her publisher for sticking with this series and not letting it die by the wayside like so many other series have recently.

After the shocking conclusion of this book, we definitely need to know what is going to happen next with Death, Alex, and Fallon.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Grave Memory.

06/16/2012 page 33
40.0% "Chapter 17"
06/17/2012 page 202
54.0% "Chapter 22"
06/17/2012 page 252
68.0% "CHATPER 27 - I seriously hate the Winter Queen."
06/17/2012 page 311
83.0% "Chapter 34"

message 1: by Kari (new) - added it

Kari I can't wait for this one!

message 2: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz book 2 was better than the first, can't wait for the third!

message 3: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider PTTTTH!!! Will be looking for your review!

Erin ☕ *Proud Book Hoarder* I agree the second was superior to the first

message 5: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider Just to be contrary...and honest...I think I liked the first better than the second!

message 6: by Midnight (new) - added it

Midnight I hope mom will buy this for me. (or I have enough money from lawn mowing) :P I can't wait to read it!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) I am SO Team Death too! There's something about Falin that makes me uncomfortable.

message 8: by Shelley (last edited Jun 18, 2012 06:01AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shelley Maja wrote: "I am SO Team Death too! There's something about Falin that makes me uncomfortable."

Agreed! I'm totally hung up on the fact that he's totally under the Ice Queen's control and thus you can't trust him!

Maja (The Nocturnal Library) And yet, I get the feeling that's who she'll end up with, her being fae and all.

Shelley Maja wrote: "And yet, I get the feeling that's who she'll end up with, her being fae and all."

I know but I'm not giving up hope even WITH this ending.

Heather Nice review.
I can't wait to read this one. I really loved the first two books.

Meredith Barrons Is this the last book in the series? I really hope not! The author said she wants to write more but she is only contracted for 3???

Shelley I would think not, especially with this ending. Grrr

message 14: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider Shelley wrote: "I would think not, especially with this ending. Grrr
We can hope that the publisher gets smart about this series and extends her contract."

That has me worried. Publishers haven't been extending very many contracts lately. I love John Levitt's Dog Days Books, but there are only 4. He said on his blog the other day that the last one didn't sell as well as the publisher wanted. He's thinking of releasing one in the future in ebook, so there's hope, but still.

Meredith Barrons I really hope they extend it! I wish there was a petition we could sign! Maybe if she sells a lot of the 3rd book. Let's recommend it to everyone!!! : )

message 16: by Maria (new)

Maria Schneider Meredith Barrons wrote: "I really hope they extend it! I wish there was a petition we could sign! Maybe if she sells a lot of the 3rd book. Let's recommend it to everyone!!! : )"

I am pretty sure the recommendation and sale are the only "petition" that will work. :>) I think I reviewed the first (and maybe the second too) on my blog. Obviously haven't read the third yet...

Shelley 07/03/2012 NEWS!!!! Kalayna Price‏@kalayna

message 18: by Liz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Liz Shelley wrote: "07/03/2012 NEWS!!!! Kalayna Price‏@kalayna

@GizmosReviews Thanks! Yes, I've signed a contract for 3 more, so expect more Alex and gang to come!"

Great news!! Thanks for sharing :)

Shelley Liz wrote: "Shelley wrote: "07/03/2012 NEWS!!!! Kalayna Price‏@kalayna

Great news!! Thanks for sharing :)"

You are very welcome!

message 20: by mrsj (new) - rated it 4 stars

mrsj Oh great! You scared me there when you said "final story"!

Meredith Barrons Thanks for letting us know there will be more books! I am so, so happy! Now, let's hope we don't have to wait too long! ha ha