Darque Dreamer 's Reviews > In a Dark, Dark Wood

In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware

did not like it
bookshelves: books-i-own

I really wanted to love this one. I was promised terror and mystery, and what I got was mundane predictability. I was bored reading this. I almost DNF'd it after about one third of the book because nothing happened. The only thing that kept me reading was my stubbornness in not wanting to DNF a book so soon after coming out of a reading slump.

The story was really wordy. It felt like it was written by a new author who hadn't quite figured out how to get her point across with fewer words. There was no element of surprise. The pacing dragged, and the plot was highly predictable. The title barely matched the story, and it was lacking any hint of horror whatsoever.

The plot itself was played out, and shallow. I pinned down the "murderer" from the beginning, and it was sad that the author relied on this type of killer rather than coming up with something more original, and less stereotypical. I was truly disappointed from the beginning, and I can't even believe someone read this and thought it would make a decent movie.

The characters lacked any type of substance. They all felt a bit cliche. I never felt like I really got to know any of them beyond their superficial characteristics, and they never felt like they drove the story.

I hate being so negative on this one, because we all have our opinions, and because it seems like this is a debut novel (possibly?), but I honestly don't see how anyone could consider this book to be creepy or a page turner. I was really led on by the title, description, and reviews, and severely let down by the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In a Dark, Dark Wood.

October 3, 2017 – Shelved
October 3, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
June 18, 2018 – Shelved as: books-i-own
February 1, 2020 – Started Reading
February 1, 2020 –
page 97
February 2, 2020 –
page 234
75.97% "Definitely not worth the hype so far. Not what I was expecting and the only reason I plan to finish it is because I just started reading again and don't want to dnf something so soon."
February 2, 2020 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Pongratz Nice review! I read the preview and felt kinda meh about it, so I doubt I'll pick this one up.

Darque  Dreamer Jonathan wrote: "Nice review! I read the preview and felt kinda meh about it, so I doubt I'll pick this one up."

Yeah. The preview is kind of vague, and really doesn't match the book itself. I got caught up in some of the positive reviews, and the fact that it was supposedly good enough to be made in to a movie, but it was super disappointing. I think you would be making a good choice in not picking it up.

message 3: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Pongratz Darque wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Nice review! I read the preview and felt kinda meh about it, so I doubt I'll pick this one up."

Yeah, I feel like your review was authentic, so I'm going to trust that and move on to something I'm super excited about.