Claire Fuller's Reviews > Lincoln in the Bardo

Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders

bookshelves: debut, read-in-2017

I loved this in all its oddness. A group of ghosts who don't believe they're dead inhabit the graveyard where Abraham Lincoln mourns his dead son Willie. We get to hear snippets of the ghost's back-stories, what happened to them, what kind of people they were and what kind of life they lived from the orgiastic foursome who carry on in death as they did in life, to the raped and mute 'mulatto' girl. It's tragic, and funny and weird.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lincoln in the Bardo.

October 2, 2017 – Started Reading
October 3, 2017 – Shelved
October 4, 2017 – Shelved as: debut
October 4, 2017 – Shelved as: read-in-2017
October 4, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Iyene Claire, this book is truly great and you are right, masterful. I read it last year but returning to it now because I just read Chigozie Obioma's forthcoming, An Orchestra of Minorities, a miltonian novel told by a chi, a guardian spirit in Igbo West African cosmology. Extraordinary book. Like Lincoln, it is sometimes difficult to describe as we shuttle between the world of the living and the dead back and forth. It's not out until January but I can't stop thinking about the book.

Claire Fuller Victoria wrote: "Claire, this book is truly great and you are right, masterful. I read it last year but returning to it now because I just read Chigozie Obioma's forthcoming, An Orchestra of Minorities, a miltonian..."
That sounds really interesting too.