Cheryl's Reviews > Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales

Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales by Hans Christian Andersen

I thought I was a fan of Andersen, but I guess not a good one, as there were several tales here that I did not know. And I never before realized that The Princess and the Pea is actually only one page long. And that The Tinderbox is awful, that soldier is not a good guy. The Swineherd is a terrific story in any edition, and here it has some of the best pix in the book.

All the pictures are excellent, actually. They have a certain kind of eerie charm, a beauty that is made of both joy and creepiness. You might want to investigate them for yourself before sharing with your child.

Many favorites are omitted, which is good because nobody needs another version of Ugly Duckling, Little Mermaid, or even Snow Queen. I would have liked to see Zwerger's work for The Red Shoes and The Steadfast Tin Soldier, though. Btw, I just did a search, and found HCA's name attached to the movie "Frozen" (gonna investigate that!) and to a list of 212 (!) tales: http://www.andersen.sdu.dk/vaerk/regi...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Hans Christian Andersen Fairy Tales.

October 2, 2017 – Shelved