C.G. Drews's Reviews > The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

The Language of Thorns by Leigh Bardugo

bookshelves: 5-star, epic-fantasy, read-2017, young-adult

I think I just fell into the DARK WITCH'S WOOD OF MAGIC and I am literally bursting with love. Like please just insert ALL the heart-eye emojis here. What is this magical thing?!? I was smitten, I tell you. And plus the bookish-inception isn't lost on me ok. This is like a story within a story.

Why must the Grishaverse be so AMAZING. I want 9.

All the fairy tales have faint resemblance to ones I know! Like I could see Little Mermaid influences and the Nutcracker and Hansel and Gretel. But they're wayyyyy way different and DARK. And super super dark at times. And the best part?!? They were loaded with plot twists. It was like ever dumb fairy tale trope just got kicked in the teeth. We don't throw princesses into the arms of the first prince they meet. Beauty isn't everything. Princes suck. The beast is sweet. Here is the sea witch's origin story. The dark woods are not the only problem here. It captivated me on EVERY page with how amazing it was. And detailed!! And clever!! This book is literally the most clever thing.

And there's SO much food in here. I pretty much wanted to eat my copy.

And it's frikkin' gorgeous. Petition for all books of ever to be illustrated. That would be nice. I ADORED the artwork on every page and the double-page spreads were just...ugh my eyeballs just ran off with this book and married it at dawn.

These are like fairy tales as they SHOULD be. Dark and feminist. Yes please. And like full cheers for having women be evil AND good AND clever AND complex. There's monsters and wooden dolls with identity crises and queer girls and endless endless magic that just inspires me. I seriously feel so FULL of magic right now. I could got eat a moon or write a book or, like, eat a pie. Options.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Language of Thorns.

Quotes C.G. Liked

Leigh Bardugo
“We were not made to please princes.”
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

Leigh Bardugo
“You see, some people are born with a piece of night inside, and that hollow place can never be filled - not with all the good food or sunshine in the world. That emptiness cannot be banished, and so some days we wake with the feeling of the wind blowing through, and we must simply endure it as the boy did.”
Leigh Bardugo, The Language of Thorns: Midnight Tales and Dangerous Magic

page 118
41.99% "Book: *describes the magical forest*
Me: hmm
Book: *describes the magical food*
Me: OH WOW I WILL LIVE INSIDE THIS BOOK IMMEDIATELY AND BE IN LOVE."
November 13, 2017 – Shelved as: 5-star
November 13, 2017 – Shelved as: epic-fantasy
November 13, 2017 – Shelved as: read-2017
November 13, 2017 – Shelved as: young-adult
November 13, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)

Resh (The Book Satchel) This sounds so perfect!!

Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا The artwork is remarkable!

C.G. Drews IT'S THE MOST GORGEOUS BOOK EVER I'M SO THRILLED.

Emily If you wanna see gorgeous take off the dust jacket 😍

Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا Emily wrote: "If you wanna see gorgeous take off the dust jacket 😍"

Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "IT'S THE MOST GORGEOUS BOOK EVER I'M SO THRILLED."

I agree!! It's so beautiful, I can't really read it yet! It's too beautiful!

Hiba I really want to read this now for food now

C.G. Drews @Emily: Mine isn't an edition with a dust jacket?? haha

C.G. Drews @Hiba: READ IT FOR THE FOOD YES

Lelia How is it possible that I agree with you 1100000864489642313258% on this?!?!

Stella ☆Paper Wings☆ princes suck😂

Lelia Stella wrote: "princes suck😂"
OHMYGOD YES #overratedmuch?

message 12: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Lelia: I'M SO GLAD YOU LIKED IT TOO. IT WAS SO PERFECT.

@Stell: omg they do 😂😂

message 13: by Sushi (new) - added it

Sushi Loooool your reviews are always such a delight

message 14: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Sushi: Thanks!

message 15: by AJ (new)

AJ Your review has inspired me to read the book so thanks!

message 16: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Aamirah: Ahh I'm so glad to hear that!

Vanessa Sans Great review!

Kerry Thanks! That's everything I wanted to say about this book, but couldn't put into words as eloquently as you did.