Christy's Reviews > Turtles All the Way Down

Turtles All the Way Down by John Green

bookshelves: 2017-audio, 2017-ya-challenge

4 stars!!

John Green is one of those authors that always brings the feels. Turtles All the Way Down is a book about mental illness, it’s a book about the power of lifelong friendship, and there is a bit of romance thrown in the mix (though not much).
“I would always be like this, always have this within me. There was no beating it. I would never slay the dragon, because the dragon was also me. My self and the disease were knotted together for life.”

Aza’s story isn’t the easiest to read, and she probably won’t be a relatable character to all people. There were things about her I could relate to, and I loved her voice. I also adored her friend, Daisy. Their friendship was actually my favorite part of this story. I also liked Aza’s mom and the Davis story-line, even though it wasn’t the focus.

Aza’s story was one that made me think, made me feel, and spoke to me. And it’s one of the first John Green books that didn’t make me cry LOL! I listened to the audio version and enjoyed the narration. Once again, Green writes an unforgettable story with a fantastically flawed leading character. I give this one 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Turtles All the Way Down.

October 1, 2017 – Shelved
October 1, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
October 16, 2017 – Started Reading
October 16, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-audio
October 18, 2017 – Shelved as: 2017-ya-challenge
October 18, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)

Jessica I requested this on Overdrive.

Christy Jessica wrote: "I requested this on Overdrive."

So far it's good!

Ashley Williams I just finished listening to this. I'm interested to see what you have to say about it.

Christy Ashley wrote: "I just finished listening to this. I'm interested to see what you have to say about it."

I'm about half way through now :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin Excellent love 💕😊😘 xo

Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ Amazing review, lovely. John Green is awesome. Definitely need to check this out on audio :) xx

Melisa Enjoyed your review! I feel the same, and I loved Daisy as well - she had me cracking up.

Christy Melissa ♥ Dog Lover ♥ wrote: "Excellent love 💕😊😘 xo"

Thanks, honey! xo

Christy Megan✦❋Steamy Reads Blog❋✦ wrote: "Amazing review, lovely. John Green is awesome. Definitely need to check this out on audio :) xx"

Thanks, sweetheart!!! The audio was great x

Christy Melisa wrote: "Enjoyed your review! I feel the same, and I loved Daisy as well - she had me cracking up."

Thanks, Melisa! Yes! Daisy was the best :D

message 11: by Claire (new)

Claire Robinson Lovely Review, Christy xx

Christy Claire wrote: "Lovely Review, Christy xx"

Thanks, Claire! xoxo

Deanna❤Pink Lady❤️ Lovely review Christy xo

Christy Deanna❤Pink Lady❤️ wrote: "Lovely review Christy xo"

Thanks, sweets!!! xoxo

SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ Lovely review Christy! = ) xx

Christy SueBee★bring me an alpha!★ wrote: "Lovely review Christy! = ) xx"

Thanks, honey! xo

message 17: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob Kandl I love your review. I truly agree with what you say and the ideas you bring about the book. The idea of long lasting friendship and a start of a relationship, that kind of gets broken before it starts. I agree with the idea of this book expresses the idea of this book will not relate to everyone, but you are able to find that deeper meaning and the audience that John Green wanted it to appeal to. The worst part of the book for me was the beginning I wished the thoughts were more complete and we understood more about Russell Pickett. If we had a better introduction it would have made more sense in the end of the book when they found him dad in the pipeline he was building.