Book-Bosomed blog's Reviews > Missing From Me

Missing From Me by Jayne Frost

bookshelves: dnf

I’ve adored the two previous titles in this series. Sadly, this one was a letdown. While the other books ascended above and beyond the rock star romance sub-genre, offering original, engaging, heartfelt, but still sweet and sexy tales with swoonworthy heroes, this one really didn’t feel like it fit into the tone of the series. Right off the bat, it’s angsty, at places depressing, and utilizes rock star themes done so many times over, unromantic tropes, and double standards.

Specifically, I was really disappointed in the OW drama & sex scene references, the first encounter basically being cheating. This turned me off from the start and made it so hard to connect with Sean, unlike Cameron and Christian who came before him in the series and were A-mazing guys. OMG, even the snippets of them in this one showed that they were still such sweeties, asking their fan girls to not touch them and only having eyes for their heroines. That alone was enough to make me want to put down this book and pick up theirs again. Cameron and Christian were true book boyfriends; Sean was a douche.

In the beginning, I found Sean an egotistical, self-centered, misogynist jerk. The fact alone that he asserted that Anna had rejected him when she wasn’t the one to end the relationship and only chose to stay behind because she was invested in law school made me want to kick him in the balls. And when he rolled off with inner thoughts like “I’d never moved on” after he clearly slept with many other woman I wanted to roll my eyes. Saying he thought of her when he was with these other women just made it skeevier. I really felt that Anna deserved better. No girl should have to sacrifice her career goals and get stuck with a guy whose other women are repeatedly going to be in her face.

Which brings me to the problems I had with the romance. Half way through the story and I still didn’t have a sense of a romantic connection between these two. There was a lot of angst and depressing family situations. There was sorting out heartbreaking mistakes and having sex again, but that’s not romance. I think if the opening chapters would have focused on Sean and Anna in their happier times so readers could see why they were it for each other instead of Sean’s sexual indiscretions, and if Sean wouldn’t have become a manwhore, the romantic angle would have been better developed.

I officially threw in the towel at 54% when more signs of OW drama/misunderstanding were on the horizon. I read romance to escape and feel good, and there were just too many places where the story was either a downer or clichéd devices were being employed.

Gone for You and Fall with Me I can’t recommend enough, especially to my safety gang friends. If you are looking for a sweet, sexy, and safe rocker romance, those two stories are the ones. Missing From Me, however, is sadly missing the elements that made the first two so great. It’s definitely geared towards readers of angsty rocker plots and fans of the second chances with a secret baby trope. I really hope Logan’s book returns to the style of the first two. Sean, I’d just as soon forget about.

Safety Recap:
(view spoiler)

*I volunteered to review this ARC. All reviews written by Book-Bosomed Book Blog are honest opinions. In the interest of providing unbiased book reviews and to avoid misleading other readers, it is the blog’s policy not to withhold or delay any reviews no matter the star rating. To the best of my knowledge, this title was presented to the blog without any conditions or stipulations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Missing From Me.

Finished Reading
October 1, 2017 – Shelved
October 1, 2017 – Shelved as: dnf

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)

message 1: by Alex ♈ (new) - added it

Alex ♈ Great review, B.! It's a hell-no for me 😬

Book-Bosomed  blog Alex ♈ wrote: "Great review, B.! It's a hell-no for me 😬"
Thanks Alex! And yep I'm pretty sure you'd have issues with the H&h in this one. She gives into him pretty easily after how he's behaved. The h's in the previous two are much stronger, and the H's better guys.

Leo (Queen of the Rants) Great review B.B, thank you for the info.. this one is definitely a pass!

Book-Bosomed  blog Leonor wrote: "Great review B.B, thank you for the info.. this one is definitely a pass!"
Thanks Leonor & you're welcome!

♥ WishfulMiss ♥ Great review BB!

Book-Bosomed  blog ♥ WishfulMiss ♥ wrote: "Great review BB!"
Thanks WishfulMiss!

message 7: by Katerina (new)

Katerina So glad you're honest with ARCs. Defo going to have a go with the other two books. Thank you for the safety information. Only happy ending here would be if ended up with his community dick on fire. Seriously the dude is deterring her from her goals and not having any respect for their relationship considering how long it lasted previous to the separation.

Book-Bosomed  blog Katerina wrote: "So glad you're honest with ARCs. Defo going to have a go with the other two books. Thank you for the safety information. Only happy ending here would be if ended up with his community dick on fire...."

Thanks Katerina. And LOL @ "his community dick on fire." Yeah, between his manwhoring after all their years together and his professions of how much she meant to him on top of him not respecting her education and career choice made him very hard to warm to. The 2 H's in the previous books were very supportive of their h's education and jobs. They totally stuck up for them. Definitely give those books a shot.

message 9: by Dísir (new)

Dísir Oh dear. The same ol' story when it comes to the protagonists. Sorry it didn't work for you, but that was a great review.

Book-Bosomed  blog Dísir wrote: "Oh dear. The same ol' story when it comes to the protagonists. Sorry it didn't work for you, but that was a great review."
Thanks Dísir. Yep, H screwed around. h has to hear about it and see about it. She has to abandon her goals. He lives his dream. You've read it before I'm sure.

message 11: by Dísir (new)

Dísir Too many these days. Sometimes I wonder if authors realise that they're just making it harder for themselves when their 'heroes' whore around and then have to do an uphill climb upwards to redeem themselves. Not to mention, redeeming the heroes in the readers' eyes.

Book-Bosomed  blog Dísir wrote: "Too many these days. Sometimes I wonder if authors realise that they're just making it harder for themselves when their 'heroes' whore around and then have to do an uphill climb upwards to redeem t..."
Sadly, yes, too many. And there are just certain things that are deal breakers for me when it comes to romantic heroes. Treating the woman you claim to love like crap, cheating on her, and abandoning her are certainly no-gos for me. I just can't get past that kind of thing, but then I don't think any woman should.

message 13: by Rejane (new) - added it

Rejane Great review Book Bosomed. That’s terrible plot device. I hate this too.

Book-Bosomed  blog Rejane wrote: "Great review Book Bosomed. That’s terrible plot device. I hate this too."
Thanks Rejane!

Book-Bosomed  blog Shari Kay wrote: "I'm gonna pretend this series is a duology and call it a day! Thanks for the info."
LOL! You're welcome Shari! Actually they can probably be read as standalones pretty easily. The other band members don't play big roles in each other's books, and the second book takes place while the band is not touring.

message 16: by Rejane (new) - added it

Rejane @Shari Kay.. good choice. Lol
The book is worse than what B B wrote here. I wrote a note.

~**Anna**~ A Romance Reader Great review, BB! This one is not for me but going to check out the other two :)

message 18: by Book-Bosomed (last edited Nov 19, 2017 04:21PM) (new) - added it

Book-Bosomed  blog Rejane wrote: "@Shari Kay.. good choice. Lol
The book is worse than what B B wrote here. I wrote a note."

Oh yes, Rejane--the kid. From what I read before I DNFed it was playing out like suddenly the H was going to be this great guy simply because he stepped in and was paying the bills. Still didn't win me over on the jerk. Usually, I don't like h's who keep that kind of thing but here I was able to give her a pass based off the way he walked out on her in the beginning. I didn't buy that if the H would have known she was pregnant he would have stuck around (especially since the little girl had medical issues) because he was totally inflexible about the h's life. As in she planned to join him after she finished school but his reaction to that was to have sex with another woman, which the h saw/knew. He was all about achieving his fame and getting w/groupies. Too easy for him to say he'd do differently after he'd had all that.

Book-Bosomed  blog ~**Anna**~ A Romance Reader wrote: "Great review, BB! This one is not for me but going to check out the other two :)"
Thanks Anna! Hope you enjoy the first two. I especially liked Christian in book 2 as he was a rocker who hung out in college libraries reading books. :)

message 20: by Rejane (new) - added it

Rejane I get you Book Bosomed. But I don’t like this because then the lie is on her. Nothing stays hidden. If something happens and paternity is revealed the blame it’s going to be on her. If she told him, and he decided not to hang around or take responsibility than that would be on him. She would not have that lie on her. She at least would have the upper hand of being honest. She would be completely clean and guiltless. He would be the one to carry the heavy weight of child abandonment or neglecting.

Book-Bosomed  blog Rejane wrote: "I get you Book Bosomed. But I don’t like this because then the lie is on her. Nothing stays hidden. If something happens and paternity is revealed the blame it’s going to be on her. If she told him..."
I seem to recall that one of the bandmates (Logan) might have known too. Seems that was hinted out but not sure it was confirmed before I DNFed. Perhaps even his buddies knew what a douche he was. LOL I'm usually 100% w/you on not liking an h who robs the H of knowing his own flesh & blood, but this was one of my exceptions. I was seriously rooting for her to start a life free of him. He was just that bad.

message 22: by Rejane (new) - added it

Rejane I agree, if I didn’t (and won’t) read the book, she should stay away from him. I really dislike men who think their life is more important than the woman.
But she should not be the liar. He should stay alone without mother and daughter and carry the blame and regret for life. That’s the right way to suffer. (Evil laughter).

message 23: by Rejane (new) - added it

Rejane And is this book really over 400 pages?? What a torture. Lol

Book-Bosomed  blog Rejane wrote: "I agree, if I didn’t (and won’t) read the book, she should stay away from him. I really dislike men who think their life is more important than the woman.
But she should not be the liar. He should..."

I'm w/ya there! *Joins in evil laughter*

message 25: by Book-Bosomed (last edited Nov 19, 2017 04:55PM) (new) - added it

Book-Bosomed  blog Rejane wrote: "And is this book really over 400 pages?? What a torture. Lol"
I bailed at 54%, but Amazon says it's 410 pages. Weird because the first two are only novella length.

message 26: by Rejane (new) - added it

Rejane Long book with a horrible male character. How to stand so many pages reading about this ahole?
It looks like you saved yourself some stomachache. Lol

Book-Bosomed  blog Rejane wrote: "Long book with a horrible male character. How to stand so many pages reading about this ahole?
It looks like you saved yourself some stomachache. Lol"

Honestly, I was ready to bail on him in the very beginning with all the OW, but I kept trudging through. At the point I quit, I knew there was no way he could redeem himself in my eyes. Too little, too late. And I think there was more hints of OW drama/misunderstanding to come which sealed the deal on me throwing in the towel.

message 28: by Rejane (new) - added it

Rejane Meaning, the author outdid herself with this character. Lol

Book-Bosomed  blog Rejane wrote: "Meaning, the author outdid herself with this character. Lol"
Which really surprised me/threw me off. The two previous H's only had eyes for their h's once they met. Sure they were rock stars and not the commitment types before that, but they respected their h's. You kinda watched them fall. But this dude knew his girl since they were teens, lived with her, claimed to love her, yet treated her like crap.

message 30: by Rejane (new) - added it

Rejane She wanted to try something different.
I only know it sells.

Book-Bosomed  blog Rejane wrote: "She wanted to try something different.
I only know it sells."

I don't get it either. I like myself a hot bad boy now and then, but there's a difference between bad ass and asshole. And a selfish, sexist douchebag who throws man-tantrums when their girl doesn't bow to his every wish--no way.

message 32: by Rejane (new) - added it

Rejane Book-Bosomed wrote: "Rejane wrote: "She wanted to try something different.
I only know it sells."
I don't ge..."

Book-Bosomed  blog Rejane wrote: "I think that's exactly where they got the difference mixed up. Bad ass and asshole. Being rude, gross, disgusting and disrespectful is not the synonym of bad boy. That's ignorance. "
Amen!

message 34: by Rose (new) - rated it 2 stars

Rose 100% agree

Book-Bosomed  blog Rose wrote: "100% agree"
Thanks Rose!