Katy's Reviews > Cold Magic

Cold Magic by Kate Elliott

Sep 23, 2011

liked it
Read on September 23, 2011

I really liked the story. Unfortunately, I didn't like the delivery. I felt too many words were being used to accomplish nothing and it really dragged the story down. It really should have been like 300 pages shorter.

In the beginning, I really struggled with reading... like REALLY struggled. It was wordy, troublesome and boring. I read until Chapter 6 and was about to give up. To be honest, if I hadn't gone back to read some of the reviews on Good Reads, I would have given up. But there was promise of adventure and possible romance that I kept going.

I didn't particularly liked that I kept reading. It was just so wordy, and it was written in a cumbersome language (yes I know it's English meant to be for people in the 1800s, but it really dragged me down), and I was very confused with a lot of elements that were thrown into the story. Once I decided to start skimming it, I began enjoying the book more. But I also know that skimming it probably didn't give me the experience I was supposed to get in reading it.

I liked Cat's character, although she oftentimes reminds me of Katsa in Graceling (which I LOVED btw). And even though I like Andrevai (which is a mouthful to say and I had to look up to spell just now) enough, he wasn't really the dream guy I was hoping he'd be.

And Beatrice just annoyed me to lengths on end. I think she was part of the reason why the beginning dragged out so much. She was one of those foolish, gossipy gooses I didn't care for. The same goes for when Cat returns. HOWEVER, I will say Bee does grow on me shortly after Cat's return when I realize what a strong character she can be.

I'll read the second book because I want to know what happens, but I sure hope the process of reading it will be more pleasant.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cold Magic.

10.0% "Chapter 6"
09/23/2011
10.0% "Middle of Chapter 6."
09/23/2011
10.0% "In the middle of Chapter 6."

Denise Agree! Reading it nowtrying to decide if I should continue..