Eva Leger's Reviews > Not Becoming My Mother: And Other Things She Taught Me Along the Way

Not Becoming My Mother by Ruth Reichl

liked it
bookshelves: autos-bios-memoirs, parenting

I should note that I had no idea who either of these women were when I found this at the library. I can see from the information here that Reichl is apparently a best selling author. I had no clue. This caught my eye because it was a slim book and that's it. I needed something short to read right then. When I saw it was a memoir and the photo of Reichl as a little girl with her Mother caught my eye I decided to give it a shot.
I don't regret it - it's a decent book. I would say that only people who know - or know of at least - Reichl would probably seek it out. I guess what I'm trying to say is if you don't have an invested interest in either Reichl or her Mother there isn't much for you.
They did have a Mother/Daughter relationship quite different than mine. In fact, at times it seemed like the elder Reichl was borderline a bad Mother IMO. I say borderline because there are other factors that went with each little situation.
It's a fast book, 110 pages all told I think, so it's not much to get through even if you didn't like it. If you're a fan of Reichl's I'd guess it would be a better read than for someone like me who just happened to find it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Not Becoming My Mother.