A.M. Leibowitz's Reviews > Addict

Addict by Matt  Doyle

bookshelves: 4-star, blog-review, lesbian, multicultural, quick-read, science-fiction, mystery

This fairly quick read is an interesting take on the future of several present-day pastimes and communities. It’s well-constructed and detailed, but not so much that the plot becomes lost in the world-building.

I liked Cassie right from the start. She’s complex and flawed yet not unlikable. Cassie is well-developed as a character. We don’t really get her backstory until the end, delivered all at once in dialog. I might have liked for it to come up in smaller bits so that we could piece it together for ourselves, especially since this is only the first in the series. That said, she definitely does have an intriguing story, and I’m hoping this will be important in future parts.

The technology described throughout the story is intriguing. I had a little trouble figuring out when this is supposed to be set. It’s clearly in the future, but I couldn’t discern how far. So many things seem not to have changed between present day and this high-tech world, especially in terms of culture and relationships. I suppose I’d have thought we would make more progress.

I loved the way the mystery unfolded. There were plenty of clues, and half the fun was in figuring things out at the same time Cassie did. For me, the highlight of the book was all the cool virtual and digital stuff. I enjoyed the way everything wrapped up with Cassie’s case.

The relationship between Cassie and Lori is nice. It felt natural to me, and I appreciated that it was allowed to just be a little bit of sweetness in between the action. It did not at all overwhelm the plot. The bit at the very end felt superfluous, but I’m interested in seeing where that goes. I like both Cassie and Lori, and the way they interacted left me feeling like they’d be good for each other.

All in all, this was a good read, and I’m looking forward to reading more. In the meantime, I’ll need to check out the author’s other work.

For a good, old-fashioned mystery with a high-tech twist, a likable hero, and romance that didn’t get in the way, this gets 4 stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Addict.

Started Reading