Lisa (littlemeadowreads)'s Reviews > First Came Forever

First Came Forever by Annie              Woods

bookshelves: owned-books, read-2018

Some books make you foolishly happy. They click so well with your personality and taste that you regret reading it this late in your life. First came forever by Annie Woods was such a book for me. It is an instant favourite and I am forever grateful to Annie for sending me a copy. Otherwise I might have never read it. If you love secret romance, dramatic plots twists, intrigues and heartbreak, what are you doing? Stop reading this review and get yourself a copy!

Plot
If you view the story from a very objective and very far perspective you will notice that the general plot line is not the most original one. It is full of tropes and clichés. However, the author wraps all this in a delicious original package that makes you instantly addicted to the story. For example, Erica and Sacha meet each other while waiting to enter temple in Vietnam. They instantly hit it of but hit a rough patch when Erica finds out who Sacha really is (Spoiler! He is the crown prince of a fictive country called Adonia). The story takes off from there and primarily focuses on Erica leaving her home country Sweden to live with her dad in America to make her relationship with Sacha work. The plot is fast paced full with twists and turns. The ending was just cruel and makes you ache for the sequel.

Characters
I really loved Erica. She reminds me a lot of myself, especially when she rather does cultural things instead of partying like her friends. She is a bit of an introvert, ambitious and rather idealistic. She loves running (like me!). Her struggles with her relationship with Sacha felt realistic and appropriate for her age (She is more grown up than your average 18 year old). This made me really enjoy her. Sometimes in romance novels the relationship struggles can get a little bit immature and petty. But it seems natural that she is reserved about royal life. She has to give up everything she wants for love. Is it worth it? My only wish is that she would communicate more with Sacha about her internal struggles and insecurities. I also love Erica’s confidence and how she sets her boundaries.

Sacha is the charming prince you want him to be. He is a bit of a cliché with being a former party prince who is now turning his life around. However, this change happens before Erica meets him and he does have a rather complex characterisation. He has two faces, one for the public and a private face. I really appreciated that Annie did not made him a perfect person. He has is own faults and he might need to work on. I loved his relationship with Erica (she brings the best out of him) and also with his bodyguard. Is jealously at the end of the book was understandable and justified. I just wished both Sacha and Erica would have been more forward about their struggles in the relationship.

The side characters are adorable and make the story fun. Danny and Ricky are good friends (refreshing). Ricky is adorable and I loved his arch. Danny is just too good for the world. I did find is crush on Erica unnecessary. However, he behaved like a gentleman and respected Erica’s relationship. I do feel bad for him though. Especially when Erica is blind for his affection. Tyler could learn a lot of this little cousin. Tyler is the typical cocky star athlete. He does have a sad past and he obviously cares for Erica. However, he is selfish and does not respect her relationship with Sacha. He appears to be thinking only of himself and that made me really dislike him as a person.

Writing style
Furthermore, the writing style really fitted the story. The author did a great job at developing each character’s personality and this really came across in the duologue. The chapters were short, not everything happened on the page and there were time lapses that made the story fast spaced, more mysterious and addictive.

World building
As I said before I loved the backpacking setting in the beginning of the story. However, the American high school setting was a lot of fun as while. The author built a realistic high school experience including the parties and drama. The drama was realistic and not too much. I loved the running element in the story. That was a part I could really relate too. The only thing that felt unrealistic was that everyone seems to fall in love with Erica the moment they see her. I almost forgot, but I also loved the fact that the story felt more grown up than other high school romance stories.

Overall it was a very fun, addictive read. After THAT cliffhanger I really need the next book now! I will not be happy until Sacha and Erica have their happy ending. This one of those books I will reread when I am in the mood for an amazing romance.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read First Came Forever.

September 29, 2017 – Shelved
April 1, 2018 –
page 120
April 1, 2018 –
page 120
37.27% "This book is everything I need right now. Such a feel Good love story"
April 2, 2018 –
page 184
57.14% "I am addicted."
page 270
83.85% "I am so addicted."
April 8, 2018 – Finished Reading