Whitney Atkinson's Reviews > What Happened

What Happened by Hillary Rodham Clinton

bookshelves: memoir, audiobook, read-in-2018, made-me-cry, favs-of-2018, feminism

4.5 Stars

I definitely was sobbing so hard while listening to this that I had to pause the audiobook and cuddle my blankie. It ripped open old wounds from January 2017 and fleshed out Hillary's side to the election that I was previously blind to. I've tried to read political books before and gotten lost in all of the policy discussion, but every page of this made sense because I read every article she referenced and I lived through and clicked away from all the discussion surrounding this election. It was like a punch in the gut to relive it, but it was also comforting and empowering to know Hillary's stance on why the election panned out as it did and how to move on from it. I loved that there were sections dedicated to feminism, the emails, russia, and election night. This was sectioned off so well, and the balance between personal stories and others' research and talk about policy kept me engaged.

I listened to this on audio and there were several impactful moments because Hillary is its narrator, but I'm also finding myself grappling to remember details because I'm sure I would have read this much closer had I picked it up physically, which is why I removed .5 stars. Nevertheless, I'm so glad this won the Goodreads award because it deserves it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read What Happened.

September 29, 2017 – Shelved
February 18, 2018 – Shelved as: favs-of-2018
February 18, 2018 – Shelved as: feminism
February 18, 2018 –
page 142
27.73% "this book is obviously very meaningful and has a lot of impactful moments but something about the 2-minute sidetrack she went on to talk about how much she loves goldfish crackers just makes this book shine"
February 20, 2018 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by AB (new) - rated it 5 stars