Ayla 's Reviews > The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue

The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue by Mackenzi Lee

bookshelves: audiobooks, favourites
Read 2 times. Last read January 24, 2018 to February 7, 2018.

Oh my goodness, this was absolutely delightful! I wasn't planning on reading this at all, but I'm trying to get the best out of my Storytel subscription and when I found this audiobook, I thought why not?. The narration sounded wonderful and it definitely was. I actually loved it so much, I wanted to do a proper review. So I took notes for like... 10% of the book and then forgot because I was just enjoying it so much.

The Gentleman's Guide is told from the perspective of Henry/Monty. Why he has that nickname I don't know/remember. Anyway, he's bisexual and while I usually don't really mention that in my reviews especially not so early on I just have to now, because it's perfect I mean, it takes place in the 18th century. Who's bi in the 1700s!? Monty is but.. yeah. Anyway, I loved it. He's this British lord who gets drunk and sleeps around with basically everyone. Both girls and boys. I often had to remind myself it was a historical book and not a contemporary one. It was such an original twist. That combined with Monty's personality just made it THE BEST. I often found myself giggling or actually laughing out loud because it was hilarious. The narrator was like actually Monty and it was very well done. Monty's crush on/relationship with Percy was wonderful. They're both such great guys and I loved how Monty's crush on Percy is so obvious for the reader/listener, but not to the other characters, especially Percy himself. While at the same time, Monty's behaviour towards Percy did feel kinda flirty to me. Although don't quite me on that because I know NOTHING of flirting and relationships, hehe!

The plot of this book is basically that Monty and Percy go on this grand European tour. Which just sounded perfect. I mean, I'd rather travel outside of Europe since I live there myself, but I actually wanted to go on that tour because it sounded so wonderful. But obviously it's a book and it can't possible all go right, can it!? Muahahahahaha... Everything goes sideways and I was so not expecting it! It's super adventurous and although it's just an historical book, it feels a little bit like a fantasy too! I'm obsessed with fantasy so I could probably find fantasy in a contemporary... but still. I really liked it. There was more action and blood than I thought there would be, but it made the book so much better! I so did not expect anything super awful to happen but it did and I'm still quite amazed by it.

Overal I really loved this book and I can't actually find anything I didn't like... Which is great! Obviously I can't give it any less than five stars. ;-)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Gentleman's Guide to Vice and Virtue.

September 29, 2017 – Started Reading
September 29, 2017 – Shelved
September 30, 2017 – 0.0% "Aahhh this book is so delightful! The narrator of the audiobook is British and it's just so funny and well written!"
October 3, 2017 – Finished Reading
October 4, 2017 – Shelved as: audiobooks
January 24, 2018 – Started Reading
February 7, 2018 – Finished Reading
May 4, 2018 – Shelved as: favourites

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

Becca AHH! I loved the audio too!

I wasn't going to pick this up either thinking it was a typical historical fiction book but it's not! It's so freaking fun and entertaining and humorous.