♥Rachel♥'s Reviews > Roomies

Roomies by Christina Lauren

liked it

I had high hopes for Roomies and while I liked the story, I didn’t love it.

You get the gist of the overall story from the description, so I won’t rehash it here. I think this is a case where the story would’ve benefited from a dual POV because my biggest issue was that I wasn’t sure that Calvin wanted Holland like she wanted him for much of the book. It felt very one-sided to me, I knew Holland was crazy about Calvin, but didn’t feel it on his end. If we would’ve had Calvin’s POV maybe I would’ve felt differently? Who knows. I didn’t feel much chemistry between them, and they didn’t even get together until well over (view spoiler). Until then, I wasn’t sure Calvin was even attracted to Holland.

Holland’s self-doubt and insecurities kind of tainted the story for me as well, because I didn’t see any evidence to the contrary. She didn’t start believing in herself until the very end. Holland kept wondering why someone like Calvin, talented and amazing, would want to be with her besides the benefit of a green card. I didn’t feel a magnetic pull between them, so I kind of wondered the same thing. This is a romance, so it all worked out, but I still feel a bit underwhelmed by the whole thing. I’m in the minority with my reaction, so who knows, maybe it was just me.

A copy was kindly provided by Gallery Books via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Roomies.

September 29, 2017 – Shelved
September 29, 2017 – Shelved as: to-read
December 3, 2017 – Started Reading
December 4, 2017 –
43.0% "Not liking Lulu so much: frenemy."
December 5, 2017 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)

Patty ~ Wrapped Up In Reading Book Blog Hope you love it, Rachel! :)
xoxo

♥Rachel♥ Patty Belongs To Kellan~Jesse~Lautner~Miller~Jack~Racer~Rafe~Liam~Prince Nicholas~Hayes~Simon~Gianluca & Archer wrote: "Hope you love it, Rachel! :)
xoxo"

Thanks, Patty! :)

message 3: by -ya (new) - added it

-ya Oh, I am still unsure of whether to dive into this book, even though I really enjoyed some of their books in the past. Great review, Rachel!

♥Rachel♥ -ya wrote: "Oh, I am still unsure of whether to dive into this book, even though I really enjoyed some of their books in the past. Great review, Rachel!"

Thanks! I seem to be in the minority with my opinion, so you'll probably like it better than me. :)

Jessy I completely agree with your review! I didn't feel the connection/chemistry between Holland and Calvin at any point, and it all felt quite one-sided ... I'm kind of bummed about it, as almost everyone seems to have adored this book.

♥Rachel♥ Jessy wrote: "I completely agree with your review! I didn't feel the connection/chemistry between Holland and Calvin at any point, and it all felt quite one-sided ... I'm kind of bummed about it, as almost every..."

I know! I wish we had Calvin’s POV cause maybe we would’ve felt his attraction too. Sorry to hear you had the same reaction.

Jane Igharo Girl, it wast just you. This book was extremely underwhelming. And frankly I'm tired of books where the female lead isn't confident enough and believes she's not good enough for the male lead - *eye roll*

♥Rachel♥ Jane wrote: "Girl, it wast just you. This book was extremely underwhelming. And frankly I'm tired of books where the female lead isn't confident enough and believes she's not good enough for the male lead - *ey..."

Sorry to hear it didn't work out for you! Yes, she was rather low on self-confidence. :(

Sónia Loureiro my thouthts exactly. this book didn't work for me

♥Rachel♥ Sónia wrote: "my thouthts exactly. this book didn't work for me"

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you either. On to the next one, right? :)

Chantel I should’ve read your review before starting. I’m feeling the same way and I’m 40% through. Good thing I’m just listening when I’m working out.

♥Rachel♥ Chantel wrote: "I should’ve read your review before starting. I’m feeling the same way and I’m 40% through. Good thing I’m just listening when I’m working out."

Sorry to hear you getting the same reaction, Chantel. :(

Roxanne Totally in the same boat with you, Rachel!

♥Rachel♥ Roxanne wrote: "Totally in the same boat with you, Rachel!"

Glad I'm not alone in my feelings, but I'm sorry you didn't love this one either. :/

Melissa Great review, Rachel! I love your honesty. I felt the magnetism between Holland and Calvin, but I wish that CL would have included his perspective. They usually do, so I'm curious why they didn't this time. P.S. If you haven't already, you need to check out Josh and Hazel's Guide to Not Dating . . . it's FANTASTIC! 💜

♥Rachel♥ Melissa wrote: "Great review, Rachel! I love your honesty. I felt the magnetism between Holland and Calvin, but I wish that CL would have included his perspective. They usually do, so I'm curious why they didn't t..."

I know, I think it would've made a big difference for me. That one's already on my list, I'm just waiting for my library copy to become available. :)