Victor Davis's Reviews > The Secrets of a Fire King

The Secrets of a Fire King by Kim Edwards

Sep 29, 2017

bookshelves: short-stories
Read from September 29 to October 06, 2017

This is exactly the kind of book I enjoy. It follows the tradition of other favorite collections like The Shell Collector and Ship Fever: Stories. Imagine the cleaning lady at Marie Curie's laboratory, who at night marveled at the glass jars of faintly bluish glowing "dirt," with mangled, cancerous hands on her deathbed from picking them up out of wonder and curiosity. Imagine a mother who, tired of her marriage and family, drinks seawater ravenously, to the detriment of her health, because she so misses the freedom of swimming alone in the ocean. I love these creative little windows into other worlds that short stories are so known for. But Edwards goes beyond the traditional formulaic short story and does what only the masters of the craft do: Presenting crisp, emotional, tragic lives with flowing literary prose. I am definitely putting her novel, The Memory Keeper's Daughter, on my list (though don't I know I've read my fair share of mediocre novels by masterful short story authors).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Secrets of a Fire King.

09/29/2017 marked as: currently-reading