Michelle's Reviews > The Duchess Deal

The Duchess Deal by Tessa Dare

bookshelves: romance-dare, pseudo-historical-romance

“The Duchess Deal” is sweet, tender and laugh out loud funny! Tessa Dare’s writing is excellent-- the first few paragraphs hooked me, and every line after kept me tangled in her web. I could barely put the book down! Now the plot might be a bit on the already-been-there-done-that, yet the sarcasm and wit pouring off the pages made it seem new and exciting with every turn. Underneath the humor is a beautiful story of two hurt people who find love in each other.

Ash and Emma were so easy to love and cheer for. The “wounded/tortured hero” is not my favorite plot line, as usually I find them too sulky or whiny. This book did not conform to that, and while Ash did sulk-- he did so with flair and wit. Emma is a strong heroine, she stood up for what she wanted and didn't let Ash get away with anything. I highly admired the sheer lack of time she spent sitting around feeling sorry for herself.
It was so sweet how they fell in love: naturally, despite both of them fighting it. Ash-- because he knew no one could love someone that looked like him, and Emma-- because she had already tried love and it didn’t work out so well. Their vulnerability was endearing and emotional. I like that both parties had hardships to overcome-- and yet they both remained funny and likeable, albeit flawed, characters that don't weigh you down with a lot of angst. While so many romances are balancing acts of two people taking turns being irrational--every action, these two make, seem realistic and relatable. To top it all off, they have amazing chemistry, and lots of hot and steamy sex. Well-written, consensual sex!
Aside from the main characters, I also enjoyed the secondary characters like the butler, Khan and Trevor, the sidekick (yes, there’s even a Batman element to boot!). There are also Emma’s three eccentric friends: Penelope, Nicola and Alexandra who are clearly sequel-bait, and I look forward to their stories.

The story line flowed nicely and the dialogue was excellent-- the barbs true, and the humor is hysterical most of the time. The first time the couple played badminton was really cute, especially when she's trying out endearments on him. I was at work while I read that scene and I was giggling like a school-girl, my co-workers won’t make me hear the end of it! I had to resume reading the book at home which turned out to be a good idea, since I can’t stop myself from laughing, crying or sighing (sometimes, all at the same time) with every page. Last, but not least: I love that the whole thing is an homage to language. Between the "unicorn vomit", "pelt of a snow beast rumored to menace the Himalayas", and the Shakespearean cursing - I could not stop laughing!

Tessa Dare totally took me by surprise! Charm, cleverness, and insight permeate her writing. I think I found another romance author to follow. If you enjoy witty dialogue, humor, and rich characters, you will love this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Duchess Deal.

September 29, 2017 – Started Reading
September 29, 2017 – Shelved
October 2, 2017 – Finished Reading
August 17, 2018 – Shelved as: romance-dare
July 22, 2019 – Shelved as: pseudo-historical-romance

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by George (new)

George Jankovic Wonderful review, Michelle!

message 2: by Nancy Aus (new) - added it

Nancy Aus Sounds good. w Wish I could pull it up.....

JV (semi-hiatus) lol! The "unicorn vomit", and "pelt of a snow beast rumored to menace the Himalayas" cracked me up! 😂 Fantastic review, dear Michelle! 🤗

Michelle JV wrote: "lol! The "unicorn vomit", and "pelt of a snow beast rumored to menace the Himalayas" cracked me up! 😂 Fantastic review, dear Michelle! 🤗"

Thank you, JV!