Melanie Foxfire's Reviews > Dead End Girl

Dead End Girl by L.T. Vargus

I was reading another book when I started this book. I didn't mean to read it right away, I just wanted to see what it was like. Four hours later I was in bed and should have been asleep for three of those hours and I couldn't sleep. So maybe don't start this book at bedtime...lol. It's a page turner, I didn't notice how long this book is until I finished it.

This book reminds me of some of my favorite books in the crime thriller genre - Dark Places by Gillian Flynn, The Collector by John Fowles, the Mr. Mercedes trilogy by Stephen King, and of course Silence of the Lambs. It's not a glimpse...it's a good long look inside the mind of a killer. It's fast paced, it's scary, and it's satisfying.

I love Violet Darger. She has the most stressful job imaginable. Not just because she has to catch a killer, but also because she's a woman working almost exclusively with men, and she has to prove herself every day. I love how she's an expert profiler, but she's also a human being with anxieties who says the wrong things sometimes and wrestles with self doubt. And I identify with her because aren't all women natural born detectives? We can analyze a situation to death and we can usually sniff out people's motives, but we always get caught trusting the wrong person because we feel for them, or saying the wrong thing in the heat of the moment because we are personally invested in the situation.

Don't we all have a grim fascination with the horror of what people are actually capable of? Remember when you first heard about somebody like Ed Kempter or Ted Bundy? Women live with the very real possibility of being stalked, assaulted, or murdered by someone they know every day. And we know that. But even knowing that we sometimes still trust the wrong person. We have all thought about what we think we would do in a situation like that. But you just never know until it happens to you, do you?

What's inside the mind of a killer? We all feel powerless sometimes. We all want to feel a sense of control. Some of us would go much further to assert that control than others, though. Some of us would kill for it.

Everybody is talking about a series and I have to say I had the exact same thought, like what happens to Violet Darger next? I can't wait to find out. Dead End Girl would make a great movie or TV series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead End Girl.

Finished Reading